I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handles
Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 01:05PM

I wonder if some others share my philosophy about handles. I read many posts about perfect cork, inlays and all sorts of good looking stuff. I am very concerned with the length of butt and fore grips and their OD. I am concerned with how well they avoid getting slippery. I use, select grade bleached corks, (whatever that is) at $.30 a cork. I actually like the looks of imperfections in the cork. It gives them character and places to put a hook.

I guess this all goes back to making rods that fish well and not really caring how beautiful they are. I use the best blanks and guides available and work very hard on guide spacing. My thread work is probably not the best, but it is far from the worst. Every time I fish, I think about possible rod improvments.

I suppose if I made rods for a living, I would spend time and money on making them beautiful. I do make and sell a few custom rods but my customers prefer rods that perform to their desires and do not desire to pay more for cosmetic things. John Butterfield

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.178.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 02:04PM

Function should always come first. No matter how nice a rod looks it's not worth much if it's uncomfortable to fish with or won't do the intended job.

Of course, many fishermen want to go beyond mere function. They're happy to pay for outstanding craftsmanship and quality and may even wish to have some cosmetic embellishments added to make their rod somewhat unique.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (198.22.21.---)
Date: November 26, 2004 02:46PM

John,
You might want to try burl cork rings. They are cheap and make a very good handle. I think they are tougher than cork.

Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 03:03PM

I'm in total agreement on liking the look of cork's imperfections. Like grains in wood, it just adds to the beauty of cork grips to my own eyes.

I do have a lot of persons who I build for that like me to put a dress on the pig, though, so I do "doll" up most of the rods that I build.

I try the best that I can to tailor the handle grips to each customer. I'm still learning, tho...

Putter

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: November 26, 2004 03:12PM

Stain the cork, but leave in the pits. Looks much better. Cherry Miniwax.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 04:29PM

Amen to what Don says. I think the stained natural cork handles really look good and Minwax Cherry is also my choice. I did one in McCloskey Tungseal Colonial Cherry but don't like it as well as the Minwax Cherry, darker red and the grain and pits in the cork don't show through.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.38.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 07:07PM

Thanks John, good post.

I have come to the conclusion that I like fishing a lot more then I like rod building. At the same time, rod building has allowed me to accumulate and fish with rods that I doubt I could have afforded otherwise. I will continue to build rods, not perfect and not fancy but to fit specific applications or fit me better or to fish better. And there is still enormous satisfaction in catching fish on a rod you built yourself.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 10:00PM

I build my own handles because I like 'em thick, like my steak...:>)
I think thicker handles are less fatiguing because I don't have to grip them so hard. Additionally, I think the rod handles on factory-made heavy bait casting rods are too long, particularly for women and children. They tend to have better control over the rod and fish when the handles are shorter, but no so short that they can't use the handle as leverage. If I use cork rings with a lot of pits, I leave them way because I believe filled pits are no better than the pits themselves.
Patrick Vernacchio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster