I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Rod
Posted by: Stan Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 11:18AM

First, I do not stand out in winter conditions and ice fish, however I have been asked to make some Ice Rods. I ordered and got a St Croix Ice rod and it feels a little stiff but I don't know that much about them.
I made a cork grip with slide rings and attached some size 12,10,8,8
guides with the tip that came with the rod. It still is stiff,but maybe thats the way there suppose to be.
Any help or info on ICE RODS would be great
Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Rod
Posted by: Stan Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 11:21AM

The ICE ROD was 32" with a 6" grip

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 11:53AM

Stan,
You probably have the rod built on the Avid solid carbon ice blank. The 32" model is medium power and has a fast sensitive tip. The blanks are very light and responsive with small tips to feel the bite. These are good for the walleye mid depth ice conditions. The shorter or medium light would be great for smaller panfish, and the ultralight is ideal for crappie.
If you want to build on these blanks, they come highly recommended.
The ST-8 handle kit to match this would work great, or you can use half the handle 4", add a reel seat with an inch foregrip.
We stock the Avid series ice blanks and handle kits in case you are interested in ordering any.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 12:02PM

What are they ice fishing for? Small perch, walleye, northern pike, lake trout? How deep of water/weight of lures, etc.?

I have noticed that most ice rod blanks are usually a medium power and most ice fishing around here needs much lighter powers.

For perch rods, I like to use tip sections of fly rod blanks. Whenever these are available from a dealer, I stock up on them.

Putter

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 01:03PM

I build my rods not only based on the type fo fish chased but for the lure and line as well. Trying to jig a 1/100th once jig on 1# line down 40 ft will be different than using a live minnow on a 1/32nd once jig in 15 ft of water. One can adjust, but you just won't catch as many fish. Same principle, different size is all.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 12:38AM

I just built three of the Avid rods for my brother in law... all 24" models... I built one of each of the UL, ML, and M power models. He fishes crappie, perch, and walleye mostly... I'd say the UL and ML will fit the bill for most of his needs. I'd say the Medium power model would be more suited for lake trout or the like where you tend to use bigger jigs and fish in deeper water.

Jann's netcraft has some 6" woven graphite tennessee ice rod grips that worked pretty well. They are inexpensive and a little rough in terms of their finish... nothing a coat or two of urethane can't fix.

Erik

Date: November 27, 2004 12:47AM

I'll have to get some of those woven grips and give 'em a try, Erik; thanks for the tip!!

The 24" rods - probably for using in the ice house?

When I'm moving around a lot outside the house, I like the whole 4' length of the fly rod tip section. I don't have to bend over when placing the tip on the ice and using a spring bobber on the end of it. I'm still young; my lower back is going on 90, though... :>)

Putter

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:24AM

Most of the guys here use 28" rods in or out of the shelters. The Avid blanks are very nice. I have built on them also. Many of the guys here do not like them due to their fast tip. The guys here like a medium tip for panfish. Our Perch tend to be very skittish and a fast tip makes it a little harder to produce. Me, I don't have as much trouble with a fast tip as most. That may be due to my reduced feeling in my hand. I tend to be more gentle on the hookset and lift rather than snap the rod up. It's the only way I can ice fish with my injuries. It works ok for me though, so I don't complain. Cork is the grip of favor here but graphite grips are catching on. The low end rods sell the best and they have foam grips. The general market is $12-20 here. Only the hardcore guys and gals spend more. I had a Thorne Brothers rod come in today for repair. Three maksing tape arbors with little epoxy and it didn't saturate the tape. Barely any on he bare blank sections as well. Nice St. Croix blank though. Guide feet, unprepaired !!!! Never even touched. You could see it clearly and you could cut your finger on the foot. That rod sold for $45 !!! But I couldn't get them to pay that for a properly built ice rod built to their specs, based on how it felt to them!! Guess I need someone to "Hype" my rods. BTW, I'll be fishing with a new Marcum LC3 and an Aqua-Vu DT 60 this season. At least I'll see what I'm missin'!! LOL Hey, Putter, I have a sample factory marbleized pen. I think your phone is tapped!!!
Ray

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:33AM

The Avid's I built were 28" inch models... not 24"....

Oops...

Date: November 27, 2004 01:45AM

Talked with a few Saskatchewan icefishermen last winter; they love the aquavu. Said they wouldn't ice fish without it again. I've thrown oyster shells down so I could watch those lazy perch go by that wouldn't hit my offering; just drove me crazy-and everyone knows I'm crazy enough about fishing without that going on!!
It's really tough to market ice rods. Maybe as up on them as you are, Ray, you might be able to?? I could never get enough out of them to make it worth my while. But I wouldn't be without the arsenal of rods on the ice or in the boat, so I'll build them anyhow, for myself, friends and relatives...

Putter

Posted by: bob schwab (---.dnvr.qwest.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 07:10PM

Ray, I was curious if you know where Thorne Brothers are getting those longer solid blanks on thier high dollors rods.We fish with 42-46 rods for lakers and I would like to try a solid blank but the St Croixs stop at 32", thanks. real interesting to here of the poor quality issues with TB

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 08:49AM

I wouldn't use those St. Croixs for Lakers. They need a heavier power for that. That 32M will feel like a wet noodle with even a 1/2 ounce bucktail on it. I love those St. Croix blanks, but they're not for Lakers.

I bought some of Mudhole's sanded rod blanks and cut a 46" section out of them for my Laker rods. Very happy with them for that use.

The M's are good Walleye blanks. ML's good Walleye/Crappie blanks. And the UL's other Panfish. They need MH and H models in 32" and 40" for Pike and Lakers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster