I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sully's thread tensioner
Posted by: Ken Yorke (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 09:11PM

I am wrapping my first fly rod with a new Sully's rod wrapper. This is a nice little machine with the exception of the thread tension device. First off, the tension spring has a tendency to work its way under the plate because of the excess space between the bolt and the plate. I managed to fix this by placing a better fitting washer on the outside of the plate and flattening the end of the spring. Still it is very inconsistent. Has anyone retrofitted this wrapper with a spool type tension device? If so, how? I have some ideas but would welcome any solution that may have already been tested. This is my first project and it is working out very well. Thanks to this website, I feel that I already have lots of experience under my belt. Every question is easily answered. Great job!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sully's thread tensioner
Posted by: Denny Venutolo (---.org)
Date: November 25, 2004 09:13PM

Easiest way is some all-thread with a coil spring and some washers and wing nut. The only problem is that as the spool turns the wing nut can also turn and either tighten or loosen. Only way I know to solve that is to get some slick teflon or nylon washers and work them into the assembly so that the spinning of the thread spool doesn't make it out to the wing nut holding the tension setting.

Posted by: Chris Marriott (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 10:07PM

When using all-thread and a wing nut, screw a nut down against the washer first. Then you can screw the wing nut down against the nut and tighten. This will lock it in place so the spool won't come loose.

Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 10:32PM

A really good tension device comes in a Berkly Portable Line Spooling Station. It consist of 2 nylon spiraled springs that are cone shaped on one end to fit the spool perfectly and has a thumb screw for locking it to a 1/4 inch threaded rod. Once you adjust the tension it remains consistent and you can change to a new spool in a few seconds without having to play with wing nuts that keep trying to turn. I bought this unit for around $20.00 and you can also use it to remove/install line on fishing reels. I think this tensioner could be marketed as a single item and would do well. Some of the sponsers carry this unit.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: November 25, 2004 11:21PM

Use a locking wing nut.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 25, 2004 11:33PM

Put some 5 minute epoxy along one side of the all-thread shaft & use nylon wing nuts. Use nylon washers against the spring ends and along each sides of thread spool. This works very well to keep thread spools from loosening or tigntening. Clean the all-thread with acetone prior to putting on the thin band of epoxy.

Hope this makes sense and is useful.

Stan

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 02:33PM

If you're using all thread with spring and washer, eliminate the wing nut on the end and instead use a metal spring clip, often used in offices. The type I use is a black shell with folding clips on either side to squeeze to open the clip.

Thread spool goes on, washer on outside, and clip is pressed against the outer washer. Very easy to slip in place and adjust tension as necessary.

Will post a photo.

Jeff Shafer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster