I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread shelf life
Posted by: Steve Kindschuh (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 09:59AM

I haven't built a rod in over 5 years. I kind of got burned out by making too many rods for friends and such and none for me. It was kind of like a second job and took all the fun out of it for me. Well anyway, I was wondering about the thread I have. It's been in a dark dust free container all these years. Is it still ok to use? I did a search and never really found anything?

I'm really looking forward to getting back into building. Man, there sure is a lot of neat new stuff out there. My kids really like those new holographic guides. They already have the thread colors picked out.
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread shelf life
Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2004 11:03AM

Yes it can be used, I have some "vintage" threads that I have picked up at antique sales and @#$%&, and have never any trouble. Good luck and Happy Holiday! Larry

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2004 11:18AM

I also have some old threads, Gudebrod, that date from the 40's, and they are fine, the colors are still vibrant, and nylon is not something that deteriorates if stored under reasonable conditions.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 11:38AM

Steve,
On an earlier post I made a comment about the only failure I have had with thread was on a spool that I recently bought. I have some spools that date back to '78 that I have stored in plastic boxes in a closet that are as good as new. I always check my thread though; I will pull a couple of feet off of the spool and give it a tug to check for breakage. I now test all of the spools that I buy before I leave the tackle shop.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 02:22PM

I have vintage silk (some over 60 years old ) as well as nylon out to about 35 years. Some was stored "correctly" and some was exposed to sunlight (faded) - take off the first layer if it's faded and it will be just fine. If you have a doubt do as Ellis recommends.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 03:42PM

Ken,
I am surprised that you still have some of the silk left from when you were making rods 60 years ago.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.93.247.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 08:05PM

I recently acquired a very large package of my wife's grandfather's fly tying gear that dates back to the 40's, some of which were many spools of thread. It's still beautiful and as strong as my gudebrod.

As long as it was stored decently, it should be okay. Cut a small piece and see if you can break it between your hands. If you think it takes a fair amount of effort, it should be okay.

BTW, the holo guides are a lot of fun. My son demanded them on his first and loves them. Makes wrapping even more fun!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 26, 2004 01:39AM

Emory Harry- thanks for the laugh. Ken Preston - thanks for being a sport.

BTW: my 20 year old stock of Gudebrod Regular thread (1 oz wood spools) was stored in Plano boxes, in the dark, in an indoor closet, in an air conditioned room, and tests as good and beautiful as new. ('Wish I could say the same about my marriage !). LOL, -Cliff Hall-.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 07:04PM

Cliff ....
It's ok to have some fun too! I actually look forward to the jabs and jibes from Emory... My dog even has a gafaw from time to time -- and she only really backed into a hanging / drying rod once.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster