I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Five Minute Epoxy
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:00PM

Well, I've tried everything I can think of to loosen the 5 minute epoxy on a reel seat I glued up and clamped on the rod, only to discover minutes later that the threaded barrel twisted a hair, and is not perfectly aligned with the seat insert. Since this rod is for a customer, and I haven't been able to figure out how to soften the glue and correct the alignment, I have ordered a replacement seat, handle, and blank. Ouch! There goes my profit. But I am not putting my name on a rod that isn't as perfect as I can make it. I want to keep this guy's business, and have him speak highly of my work.

Anyway, anyone out there have a sectret for softening this epoxy? I tried a little heat from a hair dryer, even tried immersing the seat in boiling water. Wouldn't budge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Five Minute Epoxy
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.46.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:08PM

I would have used rod bond!! Try hot water. Some sort of heat. Rod bond would have given you more time to adjust things before it set up. Live and learn

Posted by: mel shimizu (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:41PM

I have always been told that 5 min epoxy is not waterproof and should not be used. I also prefer Rod Bond.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:42PM

These guys are 100% right on w/ RodBond.

Date: November 24, 2004 01:53PM

I've lived, I've learned. Thanks for the Rod Bond commercial.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:54PM

If you have just glued on the seat and nothing else you can just cut off the seat with a dremal tool and replace it before wrapping and finishing. If the rod has been completed cut the rod into in the center of the reel seat,remove old seat and bushings, make internal plug about 6 inches long,make new bushings,get a new reel seat.Glue plug in butt section .Glue two sections and new seat together being sure to line up the seat hoods with the guides. Jesse

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:56PM

Take a pot deep enough to cover all or most of the reel seat with water. When the water starts getting hot enough to start forming bubbles, immurse the rod into the water for 4 or 5 minutes at a time, checking for release by gently twisting the reel seat. Within 15 minutes, the bond will soften enough for you to completely twist the reel seat and anything between the seat and the end of the rod, off. As long as the water doesn't get past 220 degrees and your rod isn't sitting in the boild water for more than 15 minutes or so, therod laminates should not be affected. I've performed this practice with 2 flyrods to changes the seat out to better upgrades with absolutely no ill affects. Even the immerse cork was solidly reuseable.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: November 24, 2004 02:30PM

I knew my latest idea would come in handy.

This works with the least hassle if the seat is reversed, ie the threads butt up to the foregrip. If you haven't put on the foregrip yet, fine. Otherwise remove it.

Copper pipe, as close in it's O.D. to the I.D. of the reel seat. You'll need a piece about 5 inches long (I'm assuming you are talking about skeleton hardware). Use a pair of diagonal nippers (wire cutters) to nip out teeth in a sawtooth pattern around one end. A small file will help in shaping afterwards and sharpening the teeth. What you now have should resemble a "stretch" hole saw. The extra length is to give you something to hold on to. Shim the blank with tape just ahead of the seat barrel to allow the pipe to slide over and stay clear of the blank. Two shims close together will work great.

Now apply some elbow grease. Push the "cutter" in and twist to "saw" off the reel seat from the inside. Clean the epoxy off the inside. You'll knock off some of the insert too, but a little tape + epoxy can be used to bring the diameter back up to where the barrel will fit it again. Plus it'll be hidden when you reassemble. Paying attention to fit and finish will make an almost undetectable repair.

This works!! I used this method today to reuse a seat on the rod I'm rebuilding.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 03:29PM

If you decided to cut the blank use Jesse,s idea , may I add that whne you cut the blank cut it at a angle, this well insure you the you well get a perfit rod alignment when you glue it back togather.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 03:33PM

Try an industrial heat gun. About $69 at sears. Be sure ot plug it in a receptical that is rated - otherwise you will see your lights dimming and blow a breaker. This will soften the 5 min epoxy enough for you to remove it - protect you hands while pulling the seat off as the gun can transfer a lot of heat.
Kenneth Prager

Date: November 24, 2004 04:07PM

A lot of good ideas. Thank to all for the help. I won't be cutting the blank. I believe I can fix this. I may also have thought of a simple
solution. Since the threaded part of the reel seat is off by only a mm or so, I am going to try to rework the wood seat a little to create a little symmetry. The affected area is so small that I don't believe the rework will affect the rod's performance. The reel will still lock in correctly, because the recessed hood is correctly aligned. In fact, I wish I had thought of this solution earlier, before I ordered new components. It is a two-piece 3 wt. I may try the hot water again once more.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 04:21PM

Be careful with the water vs. the wood seat; it may wreck it, Fran. Boiling works well for all others, but wood and it don't get along very well...
Putter

Posted by: glen kinsella (212.129.64.---)
Date: November 26, 2004 05:33AM

Fran,
Keep at the boiling water method - It will work eventually, it may take a few times boiling it and trying to twist it. Make sure you have the whole reel seat submerged. If it seems like it's getting too hot, put it down and try again in a few hours.
And to cheer you up...if this happened with rod bond, you'd never get it off !!!!!!!!
Glen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster