I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat
Posted by: chuck lagrange (---.cp-tel.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:39PM

my seat is just a little bit bigger than the blank. i understand you build up with tape on each end. where i am confused is this. is the only contact the seat makes with the blank is on the tape? surely not. do i slide the seat back a little and then fill the space between the seat and blank with glue or what? how does the seat glue to the blank? how do the vibrations transmit to the seat?
thanks
chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:44PM

You could always try graphite arbors instead of tape

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:51PM

Chuck,

A reel seat being larger than the blank is normal. You must fill the gap, so to speak, with a couple of arbors. Some builders wrap a masking tape build-up to form arbors. I use fiberglass drywall tape. You can buy high density or "brick" foam arbors. You can even use a couple of cork rings. Do a word search for "reel seat arbors" on this board. A lot has been posted here on different methods.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Dave Joseph (---.dialne.bright.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 11:20PM

Chuck, I often use tape if the clearance from the blank to the seat is small. I usually make three beads of 3/4" tape, one at each end and one in the middle. The trick is to make sure the epoxy seals the tape along its sides to seal off the elements. After that make sure the seat fits on all three beads of tape with very little clearance. You should feel no wobble. Filling the voids between the beads of tape with epoxy does nothing but add weight. The sensitivity is good but arguments will abound if it is better than the "brick" foam arbors. Smear the epoxy on the tape generously and slide the seat on and rotate as you go. Do this several times to ensure the inside of the seat is thoroughly coated with epoxy. Then wipe off the excess between the beads of tape and position the seat and let cure. Use alcohol to clean up the rod where you have been sliding the seat back and forth.

Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 05:03AM

Masking tape has been used successfully for many years by many rod builders including myself. Three courses of half inch tape rolled on tightly to form the bushing works best for me. Just a snug fit with liberal applications of Rod Bond on the contact surface plus alongside the tape next to the blank. It's not necessary to fill the voids, just the tape edges. I have gone to using the web type fiberglass drywall tape and found it superior to masking tape. It comes in rolls two inches wide so I split it in half and make two courses of the one inch width at each end of the reel seat, leaving about 1/4 inch space front and rear. I fill the front 1/4 inch void with Rod Bond before fitting on the foregrip.

In cutting off reel seats that have been installed using tape I have found them to be very solidly mounted except where there was too much clearance between seat and tape or where inferior gluing methods were used. Most of the loose ones were apparently installed using finishing expoxy or some sort of light glue that didn't stay where it was applied. I think using Rod Bond will solve that problem. Years ago I used fast curing epoxy and it worked great but was somewhat of a problem trying not to make a mess.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 11:01PM

I bet you could go around the world a couple of times with the masking tape used by custom rod builders. Sounds kinda crazy but has & does work quite well. I still use on all my fly rod seats - - sensitivity doesn't matter there. I have mostly gone to the graphite arbors on spinning seats & use seats fitted to the blank with no arbor on casting seats. I really can't tell any difference in sensitivity between the tape and the graphite arbors on a spinning seat but use the graphite as a selling tool. I tend to go up a size or two in reelseat when I'm using the arbors & use the smallest that will fit on the blank if using tape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster