I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

URETHANE on COCOBOLO
Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 05:35PM

I made a grip out of Cocobolo and then I sprayed with Heleman urethane and for some reason I cant get the urethane to dry, it's still tacky after 2 days. I cant seem to figure this out any ideas?? T

Thanks Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: URETHANE on COCOBOLO
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.159.20.68.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 06:50PM

Cocobolo is VERY oily.. lots of resin in it... Tom K. has an article in one of the issues of Rodmaker magazine on how to treat the wood before any finish is applied. Maybe contact him, or run a search on this board.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 07:20PM

soak it in denatured alcohol before applying finish. i had the same problem and tom advised this and it worked great.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 07:26PM

You haven't been reading Rodmaker!

You cannot apply finish to cocobolo and expect it to dry. Most others woods in the rosewood family are the same way.

Drop your next piece of cocobolo into a bath of solvent alcohol and let it sit for about an hour. Then remove it and do it again with fresh alcohol. Remove and let dry for 24 hours. Then you can finish it with whatever you want.

Posted by: Rich Margiotta (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 07:35PM

Dave:

Teak oil (not tung oil) is the classic finish for oily tropical woods. No solvent tricks necessary. This is based on what I've read -- I haven't tried it.

--Rich

Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dialup.sprint-canada.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:29PM

Dave,
You really do not need to use any finish on cocobolo.
All that is required is to polish the wood.
The natural resins will ensure that the wood is resistant to water.
The trade off with the solvent approach is loss of colour, which may or may not be desired.
Personally I am not a fan of plastic finishes on wood (varnish, epoxies etc.)
Eden

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:55PM

Cocobolo will take 2 finishes without solvent prep.

One or 2 coats of Teak oil works very well for a semi-gloss finish.

The other is CA (or superglue). It has been used as a finish for years. It create a deep finish and polishes to great shine. There are several sources on then Internet about applying CA as a finish.

I have used both products on Cocobolo many times and they both work very well.

Christian

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 09:01PM

Sorry about the email addy. Any loss of color will come back with the addition of finish. Most of it anyway. I used to never put finish on cocobolo but it was so dark to start with and faded even darker that you lost all the figure in it. So now I always use the solvent bath which brightens it up quite a bit. The finish darkens it back down but not quite back to where it was. I think it just looks brighter and has more contrast that way. I use Tru-Oil on it. About 2 or 3 coats.

Date: November 24, 2004 12:35AM

I soaked the Cocobolo in alchol for an hour and I will never do that again it took all the color out.. Next time I will just polish as is.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.52.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 08:54AM

As explained in the magazine, the color will come back into it when you finish it. What you lost was the resin, which provides much of the darkness to the color. What you ended up with was the wood in its natural color. The additional of almost any type of finish will restore most of the original darkness to the wood. And remember, cocobolo, like most woods, will darken even further after a few weeks in natural light.

Date: November 26, 2004 05:05PM

Well the alcohol didnt work, and no Teak oil around so I will use an impregnation solution.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 10:30PM

The alcohol will certainly work. I've done this on all types of woods but you do have to soak it long enough and do the re-bath with fresh alcohol at least once.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster