I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank repair
Posted by: vytautas skestavicius (---.takas.lt)
Date: November 23, 2004 03:35AM

Hello,
I am actually an old reader of this forum, found lots of good info here.

I have one problem: ordered CTS blank, it was shipped via DHL - and guess what - they broke it :(

Fortunately Stephen sent me another one free of charge. All I can say - flawless blank, beautiful color, great service!!! Thanks Stephen

The broken blank is 11' 7wt. 4pcs. DHL made a total mess out of the ferrules. So I decided to cut the crashed parts from each section (approx 8") and make a spigot ferrules. The blank has shortened down to 8'. Here is the question - what can I use for making spigot ferrules? Can I use hollow graphite blank for that?

And one more - did blank shortening changes rod wt.?

thanks
vytautas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank repair
Date: November 23, 2004 04:53AM

P.S. I did search trough this forum, but there is links to the Rodmaker Magazine. I am in Europe, and can't get the Rodmaker here :(

thanks
vytautas

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.180.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 09:20AM

You can get the magazine through William Van de Vorst in The Netherlands.

You will want to make oversleeve ferrules. I can't remember if I put this article in the online library or not, but it is in the magazine. You would use fiberglass for the sleeves (larger diameter, thus glass instead of graphite to keep the stiffness about the same).

You may also be able to get by with internal spigot ferrules but the sizing and wall thicknesses of the pieces are critical.

Date: November 23, 2004 10:06AM

Thanks Tom,
Actually first I thought about the overlseeve, I have an old Orvis rod that has that kind of ferrules, but they look so massive, that I decided to try spigot.

By the critical thickness you mean that walls are to thin and could not hold the pressure? Maybe I could make a longer ferrule wrap?

Actually walls of that blank are thicker than most of the ones I saw.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.166.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 04:39PM

The problem with an internal sleeve is that a smaller diameter requires thicker walls in order to share the same stiffness as the pieces it's joining. In itself, that's not big deal and you've got some leeway, but on very small diameter blanks you may find it difficult to get small enough spigots that will still hold up. You may even have to move to a solid plug.

Then there's the question of sheer forces at the edges of the spigots that can result in failure at that/those points. Some of the major blank makers get by this by either hollowing or tapering the ends of the spigots to make them a bit more flexible. This starts to become even more critical on the smaller pieces.

The oversleeve just gives you a bit more room for error. True, it can suffer from the same problems on the opposite side of the coin, but you've just got a little more leeway in materials and available strength/flexibility.

Date: November 24, 2004 09:50AM

so the best solution for spigot ferrules is use solid graphite?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster