I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which lathe to use
Posted by: Doug Schow (---.ei.ubesd.k12.or.us)
Date: November 22, 2004 06:21PM

Just wondering what lathes you would reccomend for turning cork and wood. I do not need a monster lathe but one that could handle 18-20 inches at the most. Maybe some brand names and where I could check these out.

thanks

Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which lathe to use
Posted by: Terry Hosford (---.htc.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 06:40PM

Hi Doug
Just bought a Jet Midi lathe from amazon.com . Great lathe.
Best price I could find as well as Free shipping and right now $25.00 discount of their regular price.

Terry

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:11PM

Go with the Jet, one I have and love it. Extension will let you turn longer pieces.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:30PM

The Jet works very well. Bought one about 6 months ago and have found it to be very useful, and great fun to use. I didn't buy the stand and am looking for an inexpensive solution to make a stand/lathe table.

I've been sitting it on a Black & Decker Workmate table and am getting tired of lifting the lathe off when the table is needed for other uses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stan

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:46PM

Penn State has the same lathe as the Jet for $159 and a bed extension for $49. Can't go wrong.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:46PM

I had the same problem and the easiest fix was to find another Workmate at a garage sale. It was cheaper than the material to build a base for the lathe although I will admit a properly made base could be more convenient,

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 08:25PM

Here is the Penn State Turncrafter Pro with extension bed for $175. Basically the same as the Jet but a bigger motor.

[]

Nice Lathe. Love mine! Quite a few builders use it

Mike

Posted by: Terry Hosford (---.htc.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 09:42PM

Hi Mike
I Think Both lathes are 1/2 HP,and you will have to pay $30.00 shipping on the lathe and $15.00 shipping on the bed extention. Which is free at Amazon.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 11:21PM

The Jet Mini Lathe II has 1/2 hp the Jet Mini doesn't. You're right the shipping on the Turncrafter & estension is $43. If I have a problem I can go to Penn State. and get good service not to sure about @#$%&. Make sure which Jet is on @#$%&.
The Jet & Turncrafyer are both good lathes

Mike

Posted by: Doug Schow (---.ei.ubesd.k12.or.us)
Date: November 23, 2004 11:54AM

thanks for the tips guys I will have to look into those.

thanks

Doug

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 06:35AM

I sure wish we had the Penn State or Jet lathes here in western Canada(if we do,I can't find them,LOL) as most of the lathes I've seen for that kind of price are nowhere near as good,and those that look as good are considerably more $$$.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster