I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake Guides vs Single Foot Guides
Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.but-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 05:33PM

I will be building a 9 foot 5 weight Sage RPL Graphite III this winter. I got the rod several years ago from Sage as a warranty relplacement. My question: is there any reason not to use single foot ceramic lined guides on this rod. I have built several rods all with single foot guides and really liked them. I have been doing some research on this Sage blank and I have seen some conflicting infornation on the best guide to use. FYI the rod Sage replaced for me was a 9 ft. 5 wt. that I built with swingle foot guides.
Any input welcome.
Thanks
Joe Luebeck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake Guides vs Single Foot Guides
Posted by: Bill Drury (150.131.235.---)
Date: November 22, 2004 06:08PM

Joe, I built a Sage VPS 6 wt last year with single foot ceramics (Fuji BLAG) for the running guides, double foot ceramics for the line taming group - it casts great. I don't believe there is a reason to not use the ceramics on your blank.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:31PM

The Alconite single foot ceramics should be fantastic on that rod.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 05:51AM

Another vote 'rat cheer' for Fuji Alconites. Sorry, I'm listening to Jeff Foxworthy. Ralph

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.45.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:19AM

You must be a " redneck " LOL

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:50AM

Alconites will, no doubt, do a great job on that rod. However, if I were you, I would go with at least smoke/SICs or Titanium/SICs on that blank. The general slickness of Alconite vs. SIC seems negligible when used on casting/spinning rods, but the SIC seems MUCH slicker when used with fly lines. I'm personally fond of the new AST fly lines from Sci Anglers. When used with SIC guides (and good guide spacing), the result is just phenomenal shooting ability.

If it were my blank, I would use Titanium SICs. I would start with sz. 10 high frame single foot stripper, followed by two sz. 8 strippers, the first a high frame single foot, the second a fly guide, all 4" apart. Then, I would immediately transition to sz. 6 running guides all the way to the tip. I would also put my first stripper about 32" from the butt of the rod. That's just my personal opinion, but a set-up along those lines will shoot line incredibly. With the fast action of those RPLs, and the slickness of SIC, you'll have a cannon.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:19AM

According to Jeff, yessir. Ralph

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:20AM

I probably know the answer to my first question, but here goes.

Why don't rod companies use single foot guides instead of snake guides?

I know there is not set pattern (each rod is different), but how many guides would you put on this rod and how far apart?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:53AM

Andrew. You are a bit out of the box here. Why the 10 instead of a 12? Did you really mean a stripper-tamer-tamer? I am about to rebuild a 6 weight boron for fresh and would like to hear your explanation.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 23, 2004 11:49AM

Sean, Loomis and St. Croix use single foot wire a good bit but can't or won't seem to make the leap to single foot ceramic. I understand many UK fly rod manufacturers use single foot ceramics. Cost does not seem to be the major reason as you can put some very inexpensive ceramics on a fly rod and get noticeably improved performance and durability. Not as cheap as wire guides but only a couple bucks more even at my retail pricing. I think they are just timid about losing market share from folks who want a traditional look.

On a 9' 5wt. rod, I usually end up with 10 guides plus the tip. Spacing is usually action-dependent. In general, more closely spaced guides near the tip to protect the soft tips of fast action rods and guides more spread out on more moderate action blanks. At least, that's how mine usually end up.

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 11:50AM

thanks

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 23, 2004 03:57PM

I built a Sage RPL 9', 4 wt last year. I used the titanium SIC single foots. I love it. I would hate to put too many, too heavy guides on that crisp and nice a blank. If I were to try to build that rod cheaper, I would still use the titanium SIC on the top section and for the tiptop and maybe switch to Alconite for the rest of the way down. And maybe a steel framed SIC stripper. You can tell I think the SIC is a little slicker than the Alconite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster