I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Securing single foot guides prior ro wrapping.
Posted by: Paul Dunstan (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 21, 2004 05:24AM

I would be interested to read peoples opinions about the best way to keep single foot guides aligned and secure during wrapping (or 'whipping' as we all it in the UK!).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Securing single foot guides prior ro wrapping.
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.agstme.adelphia.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 05:43AM

Hi Paul,
I use blue painters tape. All i do is tear of small strips then tape guide foot down when my thread is close to the tape pull it off.
hope this helps Marcel

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.77.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 07:10AM

I cut a rubber band in half and ty on about 4" above where the guide will be with a double knot. Then slide it into place

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 08:11AM

Pick up some Flex Coat Guide Foot Adhesive.Once you use it a few times you'll wonder how you got along without it(especially on single foot guides).

It's basicly a hot glue stick for rodbuilding.You just heat the guide foot with a lighter and then rub the foot over the glue stick to apply a thin layer to the bottom of the guide.Then before it dries(if it dries then just heat the guide foot up again to melt the glue),stick it onto the blank where you want it.

It will hold snug enough to wrap over but I usually over wrap the guide foot with a thin(1/2 the foot size so I can wrap up the guide foot to hold it) strip of masking tape(a rubber tube band would work just as well).Once the tape is on you can wiggle the guide around and easily break the glue bond to straighten the guide out if needed.

The glue also adds a thin layer of protection(without adding extra weight) between the guide and blank,which is an especially nice thing to have on fly rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.128.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 08:43AM

Narrow strips of masking tape are excellent. The problem most people have lies in trying to tape the guide to the blank - you have to approach it from a different perspective.

Tear or cut some narrow tape strips. Apply the tape the guide foot (forget about the rod blank for the time being). You want an equal length of tape extending on both sides of the foot.

Now hold the guide ring and lower the guide to the blank. Use your other hand to press the tape, which extends from either side of the guide foot, to the blank. There is no need to wrap the tape underneath the blank - that only makes it harder to remove.

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:00AM

Tom's trick works the best for me and I'll just add that you can get thin rolls of high quality pin stripping masking tape from automotive paint supply stores. You might even be able to talk a body shop into selling you a roll. The tape I use is 1/8" wide and 1 roll lasts me about a year. I'm guessing the roll has about 500 yards.

Posted by: Paul Dunstan (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:35AM

Brilliant - thanks everyone!

Paul

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 10:45AM

i buy packages of the smallest electrical zip ties i can find. these allow enough room on the foot to wrap about half the foot. i then cut them off with diagonal cutting pliers. i cut the little square part where the ties go together and they just pop off. i have tried tape and i prefer the electrical ties.

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 11:11AM

Guide foot adhesive requires to additional masking. I would add that after the glue goes onto the foot, heat a second time and smear the excess onto a paper plate, etc. A very thin coat is all you need. There is no difficulty breaking the guide free to adjust the guide after wrapping.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 11:48AM

If you develop the slight amount of skill necessary to use the guide foot glue successfully other methods will seem cumbersome especially on the small single foot guides.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 02:20PM

I'm just a beginner at this hobby, but I've found that small slices of surgical tubing of the correct size works the best for me. Use smaller sizes for the smaller sections of the rod, just enough to make a snug fit. The guides can be moved around easily for alignment prior to wrapping, then just cut it off carefully with a razor blade when you have wrapped enough of the guide to hold it in place. (do this over the guide foot so as not to risk damaging the blank). I like to use two bands per guide, larger bands for the larger guides, and thinner for the smaller guide feet.
Murf

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 03:05PM

After a prieviouspost on this subject , I purchased a stick of Flex Coat guide adheasive. With a little practice , It's the best method I've used yet . On the larger guides I still use the pin striping tape , but on the little single foots , the glue is the best, IMO. John

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 03:25PM

I make small rubber bands from surgical tubbing this way I can adjust the guide while I wrap. and when I reach the band I just snip it off and continue wrapping
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.txucom.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 04:43PM

Paul, from my experience, the glue works the best. It gives cushion to the guide, single or double foot, and you can wrap the guide without having to stop and remove tape, or anything else you might have used. Flex Coat sells the glue, for around $2.00 a stick and you can build a lot of rods with that one stick. I use a Deluxe Wrapper from Flex Coat, and regardless of how fast I spin the rod the guides remain in place, and once you are through wrapping you can adjust the guides for alignment also.

Kit Harrison

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.228.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 05:11PM

The glue may work for some. But when making tests you will be moving the guides around. Now you have to heat it to remove. With the bands you just slide them to where you need them. I start from the tip at 4" then go to 5" - 6" - etc. This way I have a general place for them. Also the bottom of the guides should be well done!

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.174.113.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 06:41PM

I use blue masking tape and/or elastic thread. I test cast the rod and might move the guides 2 or 3 times before settling on a final location.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 06:56PM

I prefer the bands. I buy pieces of tubing in various diameters at a hobby shop (it is used for fuel lines on models). Very inexpensive and can be quickly and easily cut into thin "rubber bands". Holds the guides very tight for test casting and is easily slid around on the blank. A touch with a razor blade and it pops right off.

Mike

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.37.45.180.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:04PM

I cut small rubber bands out of gasline for small gas engines used in model airplanes. It's available at hobby stores, or from Mudhole. You slip on a rubber band and slide (more like roll) it up the rod and over the foot of the guide. When you have wrapped enough of the guide to hold it in place, cut off the rubber band. Works great. I have much better luck using this method than by using tape, and I can adjust the placement of the guide while it's held in place by the rubber band, which I can't do with tape.

Posted by: Marc Lindhout (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 10:53PM

Go to your Dentist and ask him for 3 mm orthodontic bands used for braces. These are awesome and will work from tip to butt.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 01:22PM

I like the 1/8th in. pinstriping tape. Ralph

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster