I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Fly Rod
Posted by: Fernando Torres (4.43.108.---)
Date: November 20, 2004 04:27AM

Hello all,

Just wondering, I have been interested in trying out a fly rod. I fish fresh and saltwater, with spinning and coventional. What would be a good beginner rod for freshwater with some light saltwater use?

Would it be a good idea to start with a kit? I would like to put something together over the winter for my son and myself.

Thanks
Fernando

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Fly Rod
Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-43-88.telecom.net.ar)
Date: November 20, 2004 08:05AM

Hello Fernando;

For what You say, a good Fast Action #6 Fly Rod, 9 feet long, would be useful. And a good kit would certainly help build your first flyrod.
Anyway, if You can specify more about the species You are after (or the flies you are planning on using) will help more, because for "light SaltWater" there a lot of options between #5 and #8 AFTMA line ratings.

I hope this helped...

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.242.60.51.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 08:34AM

A 6wt 9 footer would be my choice for beginning fly casting. Too big for small species fresh water, too small for saltwater brutes, but fishable for everything from 2 to 20 pounds or so if you have your fish fighting skills are well practiced.

For a beginner fly rod I would not start with blank selection based upon price. In fact, stay away from the low bucks ads. Go with a hundred bucks, and you can get a stick that makes learning fly casting a real treat. Medium-high modulus, fast action will make learning fly casting a joy.

If you are dragging bottom for fish with the spin/cast gear, you will be using weighted tips, so now you need some forward power for just flinging the line into the currents with roll casts or just flops to short range.

Finding the right line for aerialized flycasting is really not an issue. Just start with any 6wt line on 6wt blank. Start working out line until you have 30 feet out. Practice several casts. Shoot a few more feet and try a few more casts. Pull a few more and try again. As you go through this process you will find improved loading and line control. Continue until you note a drop in effectiveness. By this method you identify the distances that line will work well with that rod. Want more distance, go one line lighter. Shorten the range with one higher weight line. Then do some roll casting via same progressive method.

The range of water you mention says you will need not less than 4 lines/spools for starters. Look into the multi-tip lines to lower both costs and time for making a quick change as conditions call for. Do your practice casting with each tip. Note the differences in range with the different tips.

If you get the bug for fly gear, expect 3 rods and 5 reels and 7 spools will cover everything from the crest of the Rockies to inshore salt action, left, right or south coasts.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 09:48AM

I would say you have good advice in the two previous replies . A 6wt will allow you to both throw a dry fly on a siver or stream, and be able to use it for a medium sized Clouser or Deciever in the salt .......Good all around rod . I was in the market for a rod like that , I wanted a rod that would throw a "team" of nymphs , and its second job is going to be for spring stripers in the rivers and bays. I chose the Dan Craft 9',#6 FT . I'm not finished with it yet , as it's a winter project , but I did a lot of thinking and reading before I made my choice .
Good luck , and have fun, John

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 03:02PM

Thanks for the info, will consider all tips and suggestions. Unfortunately like with my saltwater skills, I may be hooked on this quickly.

Will start my homework on a selection of blank and stlye. I guess I should really say I will be applying this rod more for saltwater, stipers and blues with top water type flies. As far as the fresh water goes, I mostly do pan fish, large mouth bass, crappies and trout I gues for the fresh water i will go with a less expensive kit and spend the buck on the salt water rod.

Fernando

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 09:48PM

Fernando. 2 rods is probably a good idea. A 6 is a little light for the fish you named. I would suggest a 3/4 for fresh and a 8/9 for the salt. Dan Craft for the salt blank.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.242.60.193.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:11AM

Yes to Mr. Davis, get into the 9/10 weight for the salt work and the 4/5 for the freshwater. But for learning the casting, the 6wt should still come first. The experience gained from use of the 6wt will pay big dividends in making the right selection for both the bigger and smaller gear.

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 11:21AM

Good point Tim. I learned to cast on a 6, but I often wonder how my skills would have been influenced had I started lighter or heavier. I suspect that learning on the lighter rod teaches you more about casting dynamics, IF you can feel the rod load. I just finished an 000 rod, and I guarantee that you must pay attention to form to make it cast correctly. Applying extra power is counter-productive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster