I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming out reel seat
Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 07:42PM

I have a wood fly reel seat which is specified with a .360" diameter. The blank I am hoping to use it on is .378". I have always shimmed up to the reel seat diameter. What is the best way to bore out a reel seat with out having a lathe?

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming out reel seat
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:08PM

I just had really good success in a similar situation where I had to bore a soft wood fly rod handle which I had bored on the lathe to a 1/4" hole. I kinda did it on purpose to see how it would work. I have a good rat tail file and a handle drill. I found if you use the drill in forward the file bites way to hard into it and will ruin what you are working on. So I tried it in reverse and it bored right strait through it with no problems. To my surprise it stayed centered as well. So I tried it on some other stuff as well. Reason I did this was because I only have a 1/4" mandrel for my lathe. I am too Cheap to by expensive good mandrels.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:16PM

Kurt , I use a crude honeing tool I made to remove material evenly out of seats and inserts . I took a round1/4 in , hollow , aluminium tube, 6 in long , and sliced it length wise 1" down in the center of the tube with a drummel tool . In the slice I put a strip of 1"wide emery cloth , about 3 in long . Put the other end in my cordless drill and let the emery cloth wind around the tube , grit out . Then I use the "honer" to evenly remove material by running it up , and down the inside of the seat/ insert wile on high speed. You may have to use a shorter piece of emery or as some call it, croucus cloth , to get a thinner dia to fit inside your intended work piece. The tool can be made of other material ,I just happen to heve the aluminium tubing at work . I hope I've explainet it so you can get the picture. It's simple and easy to make , it also works good. John

Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.longlines.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:46PM

I use the cork reaming tape available for sponsors on the left. You affix it to a section of blank that will approximate your taper. I have inserted a steel rod (bolt) in the end to enable me to use my 18V cordless drill. The current one has probably reamed 20+ wood grips and is still going strong.

The how to for inserting the bolt came from RodMaker mag. I have not idea what issue. Maybe someone will jump in that knows.

It's a simple easy long lasting tool that will work.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.52.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:34PM

Kurt; I have made mandrils out of two pieces of scrap blanks. I clean them and glue two - one into the other. They become strong and don't flex. Work well

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 09:23AM

You can make small beltgrit [Flexcoat] reamers and ream just about anything you will encounter in rod building. I have used them to ream out the regular graphite/nylon/plastic reel seats and the stuff works super with no signs of wear.Jesse

Posted by: Rob Grider. (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 11:07AM

For a wood fly reel seat, and since you only need a little amount off, a small round file will do the job nicely.

Posted by: Rob Grider. (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 11:30AM

Remember, we're only talking about 18/1000 of an inch here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster