I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Reels
Posted by: Steve Biehler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 02:56PM

I'm building flyrods for my 3 grandkids as Christmas gifts. I've been trying to find some inexpensive reels (less than $20.00) for 4 or 5 wt flyline, without success. I've checked some of the companies listed on this site, but economics keeps getting in the way. Am I having delusional dreams? Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Reels
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:07PM

Not a sponsor, but Cabela's has them in graphite.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:18PM

Try California Tackle, sponsor at left.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.45.193.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 04:17PM

After a web-order discount, Pflueger medalists from Hook and Hackle will come close. The Scientific Angler's Concept 1 and 11 graphite reels are also a good option. Even though I am passionate about fly fishing, I remain a major fan of inexpensive reels. To me, they provide all the performance I need on my state-of-the-art rod and I don't cry when I fall and bash them against a rock. It's the rod man, it's the rod!

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:14PM

Well said Steve. I was re-lining my Payne mini-reel the other day and the click and pawl broke. I removed the broken parts, put it back together, and noticed that the spool showed no tendency to overrun, I had just lost the clicky noise. I have decided I like it even better now, and would like it even better if it had been cheaper when I bought it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.170.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:21PM

Type " fly reels " in that little address window and you should come up with a lot of reels

Posted by: Alex Norris (---.159.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:51PM

You will be very had pressed to find a reel that will out perform the Pfleuger Medlaist for anywhere near the money. IMO.
Alex

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 06:09PM

The Pfluger 1492 , or 1494 , are the best reels for the $ in my oppinion . The last one I bought cost me 28$ I believe . I have since purchased some other fine and expensive reels , with state of the art drag systems on them . But I still use my old Pflugers on some rods I've built in small streams , and they still do the job just fine . JD

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:13PM

I second the Scientific Anglers Concept 1 and 2. Cabelas has these in the bargain cave in your price range.

Lou

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 06:52AM

Out of my 10 or 12 fly reels all but four are Pfleuger Medalist. Two of those four are Pfleuger Progress. I just wish the Medalist came a couple of sizes smaller. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster