I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rainshadow RX7 - Matte
Posted by: Tony Pevec (---.cdm.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:12AM

Hello again,

Several months ago I purchased a Rainshadow RX7 (10.5-ft 7wt.) and afetr fishing with it 3 or 4 times it already has 2 long cracks in the butt section.

I heard from someone that the RX7 blanks with the matte finish break/damage easily (compared to the green finish). Has anyone out there heard the same thing?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rainshadow RX7 - Matte
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.72.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:18AM

I doubt the finish could possibly have anything to do with an increase in breakage. Same blank, different color finish. That's all.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:22AM

Tony,

I've built a bunch of the grey blanks a a fair number of green ones. I've enver had ANY of them break on me. Where did the cracks appear and what caused them?

Thanks,
Rick

Date: November 19, 2004 09:37AM

Rick,

There is a small chip on the blank (chip in the coating) and then there are longitudinal cracks running by the chip.

I think my split shot might have come back and hit the blank on an awkward cast or something.

The blank has not broke (yet) but it "creaks" when I flex it.

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.72.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 10:12AM

Lengthwise cracks usually indicate a crushing force has been applied. If the cracks are deep enough, the rod will likely fail when heavily loaded.

One thing you could try is a simple repair of those cracks - an internal reinforcement. Open up the butt and slide in another section of scrap blank (thin wall if possible) so that it extends past the cracks in either direction by about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. It is important to try and get a good matching taper. This may prolong the life of your rod by a bit, even indefinitely if the cracks are not too long and do not reach too far up the blank.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 10:40AM

Tony,
I have built a lot of the Rainshadow matt finished blanks, probably over 100, and have never seen the type of problem that you describe. I am confident that Tom is correct and that your problem has nothing to do with the finish.
If the repair that Tom suggests is not feasible you might want to consider sending it back to Batson so that they can fit a new butt section for you. I am sure that it would not be too expensive, certainly less than a replacement blank, and if there was some sort of defect in the blank, which I really doubt, it will not cost you anything other than the shipping costs. I have found the Batsons to be great about warrenty problems.

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:21PM

I too have built many RX7 Rainshadow rods and have not seen the butt section breakage you describe. I have had a tip section break and I have sent it back and received replacement without any problems. I suggest you call Batson, explain your situatuion and they will offer you a reasonable solution. They are great at their service!!

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:16PM

Toney check your email. You have recieved some excellant advise. If you try Tom's idea for repairing Iwould use rod bond as a glueing againt for the plug. When p laceing the plug in, stop when the glue startes to sep thru the creaks, wipe clean and wraap over the creak before the glue dries. Peronally I would ge a new section, the only thing you would have to replace is the cork every thing else salvageable
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.localaccess.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:38PM

Tony, just a quick bit of info, Batson's are moving to a new location. They are closed for the next 3 days so you may not get an immediate reply from them. But their email and phones are remaining the same so you should hear back from them early in the week.

Jeff Hunter

Date: November 22, 2004 08:00AM

Thanks for the replies and the emails gentlemen!

Happy Holidays,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster