I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new PacBay bamboo burl cork grips?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:46AM

listed on pacific bay's web site are the new "bamboo burl" cork grips. has anybody seen one of these live and in person? besides our pacbay brethren of course ;-) any thoughts or impressions? any sponsors stocking them yet? they've piqued my interest, i just wish there was a shop around my area which stocked them. thanks!

eric zamora
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new PacBay bamboo burl cork grips?
Posted by: Custom Tackle Supply (64.53.115.---)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:22AM

We've received samples of the new Bamboo Cork. It is different and has a really unique appeal to it. For the time being Pac Bay is only offering a half well style fly grip, a 7" butt grip for spinning or casting and a matching 2-1/2" fore grip. I will have to check with Pac Bay and find out when shipments of this new and interesting product will arrive. I will make a post back here and let ya know the availability.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Knotty Cork
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:13AM

Mud Hole has has these grips available for over a year in fly cork configurations - Full & Half Wells - we called in Knotty Cork. Cut and Paste the URL below.

[shop.mudhole.com]

In general the cork is much harder then traditional cork - meaning it feels firm in you hard, but is tough to ream and sand. In using these handles, we have found that people that cast by pushing with their casting hand thumb and tend to wear out traditional cork handles can benefit from these harder handles.

The Knotty Cork looks best when coated with U40 Cork Seal because it really brings out the grain and knotty look.

Cut and paste the URL below for a look at an old steaming video we did showing how to best finish this type of cork and Burl cork rings.

[www.mudhole.com]

Tight Lines,
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
[www.mudhole.com]
Phone: 407-447-7637
Eamil: Sales@mudhole.com

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:18AM

thanks bob. some say i myself have a really unique appeal, so maybe this new cork and i would get along just fine. let me know when you receive a few. fly guy style is what i'm looking for, reversed halfwells and fullwells, in that order. thanks! ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Custom Tackle Supply (64.53.115.---)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:32AM

I am told by Pacific Bay that delivery of the cork to us as a distributor, will be the first week of December, which is not far off. Just contact us either by phone - 931-684-6164 or e-mail us at the above e-mail address and we'll go ahead on accepting orders for the Bamboo Cork. I can see whether sealing, staining, etc., will bring out the grain pattern of the grip. And yes Eric, you and the grip would be unique, by having some of the first of the Bamboo Cork.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 19, 2004 04:05PM

Eric. I have stained and varnished Mudhole's knotty cork and it looks exactly like wood.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthm.cox-internet.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 09:30AM

We have it on order and are just waiting for Pac Bay to ship Back-Orders.
Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:28AM

Is this material a lot more dense and heavier than standard cork? Don, just curious what's your favorite routine when working with this stuff to make it appear like wood and what stains seem to really make this stuff look nice? Thanks for your input.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.174.113.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 06:56PM

I posted a picture of 4 cork grips on the Photo Page under Handle Assemblies along with a what stain and finish I used. Take a look and see what you think. Since then I have done some full wells grips and they turned out well. My first choice for stain is cherry or golden pecan.

If anyone wants more information email me.

Bob

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 08:08PM

Bob, thanks for the photos, just wondering if you have ever stained the knotty cork and what it looks like.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 11:01PM

Don, have only seen it on the Mudhole web site. Don Davis said he stained and finished some so he would be the expert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster