I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weighing in on the AmTac, Forecast, and Fuji Fly guides
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:53PM

Does anyone have a small scale such that they could tell me what the differences in weight are for the single foot ceramic fly guides from Fuji, say a size #6 alconite or sic titanium frame and the newer Forecast and American Tackle zirconium ring FL guides? The various colored zirconium rings look really neat but was wondering if that material along with the stainless steel frame would weigh in at a lot more than the Fuji's and soften my 4 and 5 weight rods. Thanks for any info and input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weighing in on the AmTac, Forecast, and Fuji Fly guides
Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:20AM

I can't give exact weight differences because I don't have a scale that will weigh amounts that small either, but I can tell you that any Forecast TiGold or TiChrome guide I have tried is heavier than the comparable Fuji Hardloy guide. I have tried guide sizes down to #8 high v frame singlefoot and this was still the case. I determined this using a simple lever device made out of a piece of clothes hanger wire. On each end is a loop to hold a guide. In the exact middle I tie a piece of string and make sure the wire is sitting level before adding the guides. SiC or Alconite are supposed to be lighter than Hardloy, so I suspect they would have an even greater difference. After saying this I'll also say that I still use the Forecast TiGold or TiCh on most of my rods that they apply to. I just like the way they work and the way they look. The main difference in weight appears to be in the frame to me. The frame on the Forecast looks slightly thicker than the frame on the Fuji.

Nathan

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:48AM

Rob, I can give you a partial answer, for what it's worth. I caution that these weights are based on only one guide of each type. I am preparing to build a couple of rods and had some of the Fuji's on hand, so I measured them. The Forecasts are the ziconia rings finished in silver that I had left over from a saltwater 12 weight I made this summer. I do not know if they are the same guide except for the deposition coating. Measurements in grains.

Fuji Fuji Forecast
TSG LSG
6mm 2.4
7mm 3.1
8mm 4.2 5.7 7.2
10mm 6.2 8.7
TNSG
10mm 10.2
12mm 14.5 21.2
16mm 25.3

Date: November 19, 2004 01:04AM

Rob, the measurements didn't post the way I wrote them. I had them in a chart format. I'll email them to you.

Posted by: Rob Grider. (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:21AM

Dan, unfortunately the document didn't come thru. Thank you for your efforts.

Date: November 19, 2004 11:20PM

Here's another try. All weights in grains. Fuji single foot TSG guides. 6mm:2.4; 7mm:3.1; 8mm:4.2; 10mm:6.2. Fuji TNSG double foot guides: 10mm:10.2; 12mm: 14.5; 16mm:25.3. Forecast 8mm single foot:7.2 grains (only size I had.) Forecast 12mm double foot: 21.2. Fuji LSG single foot: 8mm:5.7; 10mm:8.7.
These are the only SIC guides I had on had.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster