I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Heads Up !!!! Message about Andy Dear
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 06:21PM

Andy called me a little while ago, 5:00 PM San Antonio time to ask me to make this post.

He says don't give up on him as he is not ignoring your E Mails. His computer crashed big time early this morning, there fore he has been unable to respond to any of his messages.

Tje good news is that the machine is in the shop and should be ready to be picked up tomorrow morning.try him at that time.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heads Up !!!! Message about Andy Dear
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 06:22PM

I meant to say tomorrow afternoon.

Gerald mc

Posted by: Jason Weber (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:44PM

Poor Andy...everytime I talk to him he is recovering from computer problems.

Best of Luck

Jason

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 09:18PM

Maybe someone will install a firewall and antivirus for him and configure his Puter. Maybe it would help if he wore a nice hair piece when he sits in front of the screen. I wonder if his lathe ever gets squirley!!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (64.53.8.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 09:47PM

I respectfully relay the advice that I took so long to follow " Get a Mac". Now I can grow back those patches of hair I lost using pc's.

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 09:52PM

Agreed. Once you go over you see why Bill Gates decided to copy it. Just wish he had done a better job with his copy. No comparison.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:18PM

Man, it's great to hear I'm not the only person with puter problems. Thought it was a Putter thing.
When Andy gets it fired back up, Mike should email him his screen cleaner...

Putter

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:20PM

Probably got full of wood dust and shavings from all the reel seat making.

Posted by: Mike Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:10AM

I got that screen cleaner.It works great.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.145.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 06:20AM

Tell him to get a Dell. have not had any problems with mine?? Knock on wood

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 10:18AM

At the risk of starting something, very few computer poblems/crashes have anything to do with the computer. Does the term "User Error" mean anything??

The best thing about a MAC is that with them only having a 5% dshare of the market, Hackers, virus writers. etc. don't waste there time with them!!Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.44.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:51AM

Actually, the best thing about having a Mac is that they work, and they work extremely well, all the time. Apple will always be 10 years ahead in the computer operating system game. Apple is also the world's third largest computer make and has a larger market share in the computer world than do BMW, Volvo and Mercedes combined, in the auto market.

The Windows OS is a copy of the original Mac OS, but not a very good one. Microsoft will always be forced to play catch up, but they're hugely profitable and probably not too worried about this sort of thing.

I suspect Andy has had a hard drive failure, something which can happen to any computer since there are only a handful of companies that make hard drives and all the computer makers, including Apple, use them. Although I've never had a crash, freeze, virus or any other computer related problem since owning Macs back to 1984, I have had one hard drive failure. That can happen to any computer.

At any rate, Andy will be back up and in operation later today. That's the important thing. Ask him about his new exotic cork - I understand he's expanding the line of patterns and colors.

Posted by: Rick Keefer (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:38PM

Wow, am I glad he's still around. I was starting to imagine that's there's poor Andy, out hunting the the rare and seldom seem exotic Master Burl Node from some underworld and a nasty little Tree Fairy had snatched him up and swept him away. Glad he dodged that one... Hard drives do fail for no reason we can see. In the last 20 years I've had 5 fail and at work maybe 50-75. Now I have two in all my systems. One for operating system and things and a backup that just sits there waiting. At the price of a H/D these days it's cheap ins. Glad Andy is ok !!

Rick

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:43PM

I have 2 PC's that are on at least 18 hours a day, have heavy duty software/programs and have not had a crash, lockup or virus in years. I also get NO popups or junk mail. I still maintain that it's mostly how you set up, maintain and use your computer.

I will agree that MACS are great for those that want a simple system that they don't have to put any effort into learning. If they ever get big enough share of the market to make them appealing to the Hackers, Virus writers, etc. Look out! The reason that they don't have those problems isn't because they are more secure or better, it's because over 90% of the world's computers (business & home) are MS based and it's just not work attacking them (YET!)

Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.200.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 01:31PM

Macs are more intuitive, but also more sophisticated and more customizable (although most never take the time to learn all that they will do). Apple has the third largest market share of any computer maker and is also highly profitable. Hackers could probably cause problems with Mac as well, but it would be more difficult for a variety of reasons. In meantime, which platform people choose is up to them. I choose one that is extremely powerful, capable of more than I am, trouble free and runs the finest software available. Yes, I did have to pay a little more for it, but without it I couldn't possibly do all the work I do and still have any time left for sleep. (Applescript is a gift from heaven.)

Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: November 19, 2004 01:42PM

By the same token, clocks are for people who don't want to take the time to learn how to read and use a sundial, but I wouldn't say the sundial is better. I'll stick to my clock, simpleminded though I may be.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.218.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 04:27PM

I don't know if that's a good analogy or not, but I do like to be able to work on the lathe or on a rod, while speaking to the computer and having it perform most of my daily tasks by script without me having to be at the keyboard or actually do anything. I couldn't get it all done otherwise.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.45.193.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 04:33PM

Holy cow, that is slick. My first computer was a Mac LC with 4MB of ram and 40MB harddrive in '91 when I was in grad school at Clemson. Paid $2400 for it with the 1/3 student discount, LOL. I've had a string of frustratingly disappointing Microsoft-based PCs since. Maybe it's time for me to go back to a Mac.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.218.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 04:50PM

Your '91 Mac would probably do the same thing, but you may not have known it. I don't know when AppleScript was first included with the OS, but I think it was around that time. My old 6100 with OS7 had it and even back then it worked very well. Most people never make use of the best Mac OS features. I have to.

But I guess we're getting off the subject of rod building- something I always tell others not to do.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.har.choiceone.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:45PM

Tom, be careful...remember HAL 9000 ???? LOL !

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster