I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One last question...Spinning rods in general
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:13AM

Well Ive just begun to realize actually how much harder it is to do a spinning rod opposed to a fly rod. Can some one PLEASE lead me in the right drection...precautions, procedures. I would really like a reference book for this. I read an earlier post about how a custom rod can be matched to only one reel, whats that all about??
PLease reply or e-mail me!!

In the mean while tight wraps,
~Don~ <°)>}}}}}}}}><

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One last question...Spinning rods in general
Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:33AM

Don,
Every reel is different, the weight affects the balance of the rod and the spool diameter affects guide sizing. So when you use two different reels on the same rod you have to meet somewhere in the middle. I'm sure you will get more responses in more detail but that's the condensed version.
Tom

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:37AM

As for actually wrapping the guides on...is it much different than doing so on a fly rod? How about splining the rod, how odes that work on such a big rod.
Thanx,
Don

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 01:11AM

We're kind of in the same boat because I' ve never done a fly rod but the guides go on the same way. You'll probably find the bigger guides easier to work with. As far as spining it goes, I use a horizontal spine finder but all the usual methods work. If you go with a 2 piece the butt section can be tricky but also not so critical.
Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 09:18AM

All rods share the same basic construction methods. If you can build a fly rod, then you alread know how to build a spinning rod. I strongly suggest using the New Guide Concept System as outlined in the July/August 2000 issue of RodMaker Magazine and which has been discussed here in length over the past few months. Do a search and you'll uncover a ton of info.

Ask Sammy Mickel how easy and fast it is to set up the system the next time you see him post here. He dropped by the shop last week with a rod he was working on and we set it up in about 3 minutes.

Re: Spinning rods in general
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:39PM

There may never be that 'one last question' regarding spinning rod building. The spinning rod may, or may not, involve more than a fly rod. A custom rod really should take into account what one would like out of it for improved performance or appearance. Part of this, of course is balancing with the right reel, lure, and line as you might even want to do with any factory rod. The main difference is that in building your own custom rod, it can be fine tuned even better. If this involves matching to the reel, or using a better guide setup then what you end up with is truly 'custom'.

Reference books, videos, and individual rod builder demonstrations are good guides to be sure. With the variation in components and systems to be tried out, I doubt any one 'end-all' source of information will do it, but the fundamentals of technique are universal, such as wrapping and static deflection testing and so forth. The Rod Building Guide has good explanations as to settingup the concept guide system, for example. Nothing is set in stone about particular guide setup, whether conventional or otherwise (spiral wrap, for instance). Perhaps some day a more comprehensive book outlining most of current concepts in rodbuilding may be considered, but I suspect it would outdate in time. A lot also depends on new equipment in fishing and new materials for rodbuilding that simply would have less application by following past trends.

Very good information by competent authors are also written in superb articles of past RodMaker magazine issues for current rod building information. Some very good videos are also out by individual rodbuilders explaining their particular take on how and what to do. A lot of developing your own rodbuilding can be by understanding the fundamentals, trial and error, practice, and testing during the phases of construction. Much already is said on this site about guide placement and some aspects of balance. I doubt that anyone has the absolute final answer for the perfect spinning rod, but they are not particularly difficult to set up as Tom points out.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster