I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fish eye's
Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 01:50AM

I have just had my first problem with fish eyes forming in the epoxy. My first coat of Flex Coat went on like a dream. The second coat, using the same syringes, brush, temperature and mix amount went on well but very quickly formed small fish eyes. I'm totaly stumped as to how they formed. I am always totally nuts about everything being clean and really can't put this down to any single cause. I suspect, though she will not admit it, that my wife may have sprayed some fly spray in the room at some time prior to my second coat going on. Any suggestions, other than cutting the wrap off and starting again? Building a new garage in the next few months with dedicated rod building room attached. My domain only. No wife allowed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fish eye's
Posted by: Jim Morris (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: November 18, 2004 04:42AM

Mark, this may draw howls of derision, but it is one reason I've moved to one shot epoxying unless it's absolutely necessary to use more than one coat. I tape both ends of every binding, so that allows you to totally control thickness by brushing/drawing the epoxy lengthways. Yes, I usually have to use two coats on the area in front of the hook keeper, but that's about it and no more fisheyes. Previously I tried to eliminate every possibility - contaminants, dust, drying time for the previous coat, kids breathing within 100 feet... you name it, but somehow fisheyes would appear every so often without explanation. One thing you can do when they do appear is to keep relevelling that spot until they eventually disappear as the epoxy gradually starts to go off. It is often a sign that your second coat is a little thin - the epoxy tends to draw back from the gloss below. jim

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.7.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 09:33AM

There is another explanation that may be the cause of your problem and it has nothing to do with any sort of contamination or problem with the finish itself.

It is natural for any slick, glossy surface to repel anything put on it. Your first coat of finish may be repelling the 2nd one. This is usually evident by small pinholes or the fisheyes you mention. You also may see some dry areas where the finish just doesn't want to stick.

How much time did you allow between applications? If you waited more than about 2 or 3 days then it's very likely your problem is that the first coat is repelling the second. This is why after a couple or three days you need to scour/scuff the finish to provide a fresh "water break free" surface for the 2nd application.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (69.29.222.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 05:00PM

Also did you wash your blank before you started to wrap. Using water, denatured Alcohol and a water combination and renising with denatured alcohol and drying off AS for the finish you now have on I would lightly buff with a gray scotch brite pad or carefully scrap the finish then recoat.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.79.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:28PM

I had this happen once due to a brush that wasn't thourghly free of brush cleaner . The first guide fish eyed , then I switched brushes to see if it was the brush , or some other "force". The other guides came out good , and the original coat was only dry for 16 hrs , so I had ruled out the slick ,hard, surface. I now use my "once used epoxy brushes" for other applications........not final coat epoxy , they get a new disposable brush every time to avoid problems.
Just a thought, John

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:16AM

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I think Tom may have hit the nail on the head. The first coat was perfect. There was a couple of day delay in the second coat due to a dust storm and then having to allow everything to settle down. Tom what you described was exactly how it went. I have never had the problem before but I agree with John, "You never know when or why its going to hit you until it does." I'll try and rub it back lightly, use some methylated spirit (denatured alcohol) and try a recoat. I've got nothing to lose!

Thanks again
Mark Fisher
Outback

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster