I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rods
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 10:14PM

Well Im still trying to find some info on buidling a 12 foot saltwater surf fishing rod. Is there any good books out there that I could use to learn a little more. This is my first surf rod ever.
Your suggestions are welcome,
~Don~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rods
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 10:21PM

I'm not aware of any books that are just about building surf rods. But if you can already build either a spinning or casting rod then you can build a surf rod. Everything is the same.

About the onlyl thing you need to watch out for is guide passage of a shock leader knot if you are going to use one. If you try to use small #8 - 10 or even sometimes #12 guides the leader knot will somtimes hang or grab in these guides on the way out. The best I can do if my customer is going to use a shock leader is stay with nothing smaller than a #16 guide. If you are not using a shocker, then you can just go as small as you need to. I have used #10's on my long but lighter surf rods. All the heavy stuff has to pass a shocker at high speed so 16's is as small as I go.

Handle length is important too but you didn't say if you were building it for casting or spinning. I'd lean towards making the handle length the same as whatever your favorite surf rod has now. Then adjust to make it perfect for you. A little longer, or a little shorter, whichever you have always wished it was.

If you can give us a bit more info on what you are building, type and lure weight range, etc., the ideas might be easier to pass back to you.

Date: March 02, 2002 10:35PM

Well I am building a 12 foot spinning surf rod. It is for my dad. He will be casting mostly 3-6 ounce weight with live bait rigs such as mullet rigs. I am still not sure what type of blank to use. I have heard the breakaway is a great blank but it also costs 180 dollars. Do you have any suggestions for 12 blanks that may be a little cheaper. Alo my dad would like to have a white tip section of say a foot and a half in order to night fish for sharks. They sell these rods commercially but no one can seem to give a place that sells white tipped blanks.

If there isnt any white tipped blanks what kind of paint can I use to paint the tip white?? Will this void a warrenty by any chance?

Thanx,
~Don~

Date: March 02, 2002 10:56PM

I forgot to mention I have very limited experience with blanks other than fly rods. I could really use all the help available!!

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:27AM

I've got the rod you're talking about in my garage. It was built on a Lamiglass one piece blank trimmed to 11 1/2 feet . If you have some specific questions e-mail me. I'd be glad to give you some specs and measurements so you at least have an idea of where to start.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 09:47AM

Just start looking through the various blank catalogs or websites. There are lots of good choices here.

I used to make white tips by wrapping with white NCP thread between the first two guides and giving it several coats of color preserver (didn't bother with finish to keep the weight down, although on these big rods you aren't likely to notice much).

Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.twave.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 09:32PM

If you want a good one for bargain basement prices look at the Lamiglass blems at Mudhole. You can try some of the Seeker rods, Diawa makes a couple of good ones, Pacific Bay has an 11'5" 3-5 oz. or the Allstar you mentioned. You are most likely going to pay at least $100 for a good blank, other wise look at a Shakespear.

Posted by: Walter Young (---.gis.net)
Date: March 05, 2002 12:35AM

I'll second Jeff's suggestions, However, the British make the very best surf rods for bait fishing. You might be able to find a Diawa UK blank (very nice) fairly inexpensively around $100? from Hatteras Jacks in north Carolina. Or a search on line of Diawa may find you one somewhere.
You can also get a light for the tip of the rod from Breakaway on line, for about $6.00. Its removable and great for night fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster