I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Common cents reloaded!
Posted by: Eric McCalla (---.tco.seagate.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:28PM

I've read Dr. Bill's articles on rating rods by calculating ERN's, action angles and the sort, but I was curious if anyone has applied it to ice rods. For example, if I like to use an SJ721 for jigging walleyes in the summer, would I search for a 28" ice rod that has the same ERN and action angle? Will the 2 rods correlate? My instincts tell me yes, but I wanted to see if others have "been there, done that" already.

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common cents reloaded!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.18.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 03:03PM

Yes and no - the length difference is so great that it's not likely you'll find one with a similar action. Powerwise, a rod 28 inches long against one 6 feet long is not going to match up without a very extreme taper.

If the rods were the same length and you found two with similar ERN and Action Angle, then yes, they would have the same action and power. But with such a great length difference, I'm not sure you can even something in an ice rod that will compare in any way to the 6 footer you mention.

Posted by: Steve Runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:47PM

Eric,

I'm not sure exactly what action you're looking for, as I havent' read the articles on ERN, but I have used the St Croix solid carbon ice blanks. Even on a short rod, they have a very fast action- a lot of spine in the first half of the blank, with a sensitive, very flexible tip. You may consider placing the handle kit on a heavier piece of blank, then shimming the butt of the St Croix blank and putting it inside the larger blank. This will keep your reelseat and cork from flexing so much under a load
Tight lines!

Posted by: Eric McCalla (---.tco.seagate.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:56AM

Steve -

I fish with St. Croix's Avid Ice blanks exclusively, so I agree with your recommendation. I was reading an article where the author was describing how to choose ice rods for pan fish, walleye, etc. and he kept referring to a medium-light action rod. As everyone on this board knows, medium and light are terms used to describe the power of the rod and not the action. I began to wonder if action was appropriate for describing ice rods. Are ice rods too short to really get any meaning out of an action measurement? I was also curious if methods used to describe fly, spinning, casting, etc. rods was applicable to ice rods too. And if so, is there some sort of correlation between the two. My post really isn't on how I should build an ice rod, but rather, how can an engineer over complicate it! Thanks for the suggestions though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster