I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement problem
Posted by: sean swatsky (209.115.59.---)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:29PM

Hey there,

i'm pretty new to rod building and i ran into something that i'm sure you all have see before. the placement (by the vendors list of guide placement at hook & hackle) of one of my guides should end up pretty close to the furrel on the top section. what do you suggest i do? how close to the furrel is too close? it seams that it is about 2 inches above when i lay it out. this may be a stupid question, but i've only built a few rods and this is a first time problem.

thanks in advance.

Sean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement problem
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:36PM

Ideally, a guide would be placed right on the ferrule. Keep in mind that guide charts should be considered a starting point and taken with a grain of salt. Let the reel, line path and static distribution test narrow it down.

I'm sure that if you post the rod make,size, model. etc., you will get lot's of help

Mike

Date: November 16, 2004 08:12PM

i'm sorry, it's a 9ft 8 wt hook& hackle blank. IM6

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:28PM

Remember the online library here and the story on how to space guides properly. It might help. But no having a guide right on the female ferrule will not harm anything.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:31PM

You should have no problems putting the guide that close . Just remember to put a wrap 2x the dia of the blank on the female furrel. Then you can wrap your guide over the furrel wrap if need be . The wrap on the furrel is very important.....don't forget it , John

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 11:41PM

John Dow: Are you saying to wrap the ferrule first, and then wrap the guide onto the ferrule wrap? On this first rod of mine, I just wrapped the guide on the end of the ferrule without any pre wrap. Do you think this will cause a strength problem at the ferrule? This is a 7' ultra-lite. Any advice is appreciated.
Murf

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: November 17, 2004 01:14AM

Fred,

There is no need in any pre wrap. Especially on the rod like yours. If you prepared guide foot' surface properly, it won't cause any problem

Pavel

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 04:28PM

I try to get my guides on the ferrule, if at all possible. It takes care of two things at once. And, it saves me another wrap. Less thread equals less weight, though the increment would be pretty small. There's no need for an underwrap. Just make a normal guide wrap right on the ferrule.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 04:40PM

Another small advantage is that putting the guide on the ferrule holds the line a little further from the rod and it does not hit the ferrule. I have had lines rub the ferrule on tip over rods with a fairly large ferrule.

Date: November 17, 2004 09:24PM

Thanks everyone, you were all a great help!!!

SWAT

Posted by: Karel Gol (---.tnt29.rtm1.nld.da.uu.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 10:19AM

I've found two opinions in our Dutch rodbuilding books.
- never to place a guide on the ferrule (weakening of the ferrule by the guide foot) and
- never to have a ferrule exacly between two guides (big momentum on the ferrule)

Who is right? Reading this thread i'd say only the second, am i correct?

Karel Gol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster