I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
vision problem
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.136.90.65.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:12PM

ok, I have read lots of articles about the kinds of materials you need to build a rod, but I find that my reading glasses just don't do the trick,
maybe good eyes should be added to material list.
looking for suggestions about, glasses, magnifiers that attach to hat, ordered one that works fine but you have to get within 6" to get clear picture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vision problem
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.226.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:17PM

Good lighting will help. So will good contrast. A pale green pastel background is a superior surface to work above. It won't reflect glare back at you but provides good contrast to most rod blanks and threads.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:26PM

I have old eyes, and have had eye surgery, so I understand your problem. Everyone's eyes are different, but I've homed in, after much experimentation, on the Optivisor, with a #3 lens (worn on the forehead, so you can move around), this gives me sharp vision at 9 inches, and it easily flips up and out of the way when I need to look around. Would be happier with 12 inches, but I'll take what I can get.

Posted by: Anthony Rossillo (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:32PM

Jim,

I have major vision problems with two detached retinas and I have been able to do work comfortably with two items. I use halogen lamps that are on a moveable arm with a heavy base and can be directed onto the work very easily. I also use 5x magnifier lens that are attached to a visor and worn on the head. I don't remember the name of the company that sells the visor, but usually engravers, jewelers, etc. all use them. You can also change the magnification by purchasing different lens. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:34PM

I picked up a style similar to the Optivisor from Jann's (sponsor to the left). It works well for me after my lighted magnifying lens bracket broke. I did get the lighted lens replaced, but use it seldom now that I'm used to the headband style. It seems that about 10" from the work and it's clear.
Yeah, it'd be nice if I could get a bit farther away, but it works...

Putter

Posted by: Bill Koski (---.ca.astound.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:45PM

I've been using a magnifier lamp for both rod building and fly tying. Lamp clamps to the desk and has two arms that swing in any position. Takes a little getting use to, but works for me.

Posted by: mel shimizu (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 06:13PM

Yep, the Opivisor head visor is the best in my opinion. There are different lenses available so you need to first know what distance you are most comfortable working from to get the right lense for your focal lenght. I used to use the magnifier lamp but you spend a lot of time moving it around and out of the way. The visors are much easier to work with. The optivisor is the best but there are cheaper ones available at Harbor Freight but the lense choice is limited to one choice and it costs only about 5-6 dollars. I have both but use the optivisor for rod building and the other for other close work at another work station.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 06:22PM

I just recently purchased one of the Daylight lamps. This has the best color for a light I have ever used for rod building. Got the idea from my wifes cross-stitch lamp she has. The unit I got was a desk lamp, with a heavy base and also come with a magnifying glass that can be pivoted into many positions. I really find that with this type of lamp, I see things better, you get light as if you were outside. You can find this setup in most sewing shops or online.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:07PM

Some suggestions as this is what I do for a living. First, the more the light the better since as we age we need more light to maintain the same contrast sensitivity. Halogen lights are wonderfull as the light is more "white" and will tend to discolor your working material less. Try if possible to use a light that you can direct like on an arm positioned over your shoulder or off to the side and not directly in front of you so less glare directed at the eye. Second, use the least amount of power and magnification that you can get by with. It is always tempting to use a higher mag but that will decrease your working distance and actually can put a lot of stress on the visual system. Loupes and magnifiers will work and some of the optics are OK and other are poor with a lot of distorsion. Hold the magnifier up to piece of grid paper and move it backwards and you will be able to see the distorsion inherent in the lens and compare one to another. Finally, if you do this type of thing a lot, then consider a pair of spectacles made just for your eyes and chosen working distance and you won't be disappointed. And to think I build rods to get away from this stuff. ha

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:21PM

I'll suggest an eye doctor along with good lighting. I'm currently loosing my vision due to age, and purchased magnifying lenses.They work great while working on rods but when you take them off, its difficult to focus on anything! Possibly causing more harm than good?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:57PM

I had my Doc make me a set of glasses just for rod thread work. They work great. Down side I can't use them for any thing else. Other than glasses lighting is the most important
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: David Coleman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:01PM

To All,

This is a really good thread. I have gloucoma, astigmatism, far and near sightedness. I have glasses on, off, sunglasses, eye strain, headaches and the rest. Cant give up what I love though. To see me fish you would think Fred Sanford was wearing waders. I cannot tell you all how many pairs of glasses I have lost in the water. lenses pop out only to have to stumble back in my car. I can see for the most part and that is all I need to tie flies, wrap rods and see a rise in the current. Imagine losing that? Thanks to all for their "views" on visual aids!

David.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:54PM

There's ole Dr. Rob to the rescue!!!
Thanks, Rob, I think I'll schedule with Dr. Mitchell tomorrow and get this thing done...
Putter

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.136.90.119.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:22PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will end up trying most of them.
My wife has a plant growth light not far from where I work, so I swung it around and that helps. for now
this will make the doctors in here pull their hair out, but I break glasses like nobody can imagine, I wont spend more than $6 for sun glasses because of that,
I buy $17 dollar wal=mart glasses now using 1.5, for reading, I see good till things get pretty far off, and can't read most stuff, I have the short arm disease. Building this rod will probably cause me to go to doctor and like a previous post I may get a set just for this.
age is part of the problem, but I use a torch a lot, and you can imagine the rest.
once again, thanks for suggestions,
this is great, I have been a member of a fishing web site.
Vastriper.com for several years and we pride ourselves on helping others, we give out more info than anyother site I visit.
Now I found this site and its great as well. The help and how fast people respond is very amazing.

Posted by: Jim Hitt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:26PM

Giraffe lamp and magnifier. Anglers Workshop carry them.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 11:48PM

I had one gentleman email with a question and so I thought I would shed a little light on the subject if you will pardon the pun. When you purchase a pre-made pair of reading spectacles or cheaters as they are sometimes called, you are living with compromises built into the system. The distance between our two eyes, also known as the pupillary distance or PD varies for each individual. Production magnifiers of any variety will assume an average PD of approximately 60 mm, which may or may not be correct for you. In smaller prescriptions, the unwanted prism that is induced from this mismatch of PD's is generally not that significant, but in higher prescription lenses, which is what we are talking about with most higher strength reading glasses and magnifiers, this undesirable prism can become very significant. Also the older we become the less forgiving our visual system is of any near point stress. Now if you're not at the near task very long, no problem, but after a while that's when the headaches and eye stress will likely become more evident. It's important to understand that you don't have to spend a lot of money in order to achieve a viable solution.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 17, 2004 07:51AM

Thanx Dr. Rob.

Very helpful and informative.

First year for glasses for me, but at 48, I can't complain. I guess.

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 10:15AM

Something else to consider that was not mentioned above is contrasting colors. I attempted to wrap gray thread on a gray blank and gave that up very fast. I do fine with red on gray or green on gray, etc You may eliminate some colors but there is still a lot to choose from.

Posted by: Rick Laughlin (---.57.cm.sunflower.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 11:28AM

Jim,

Go to www.neoptx.com

They have a variety of vision aids. The ones I use are reusable soft plastic lenses which come in a range of diopters. They stick to the insides of your glasses lenses using water. They are removable and can be put on any glasses. I have several sets of them of varying degrees of magnification. I use them at the bench, for reading and on the stream attached to my polorized sunglasses. These little babies are a lot cheaper than new glasses and never get in the way.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 09:31PM

In my experience, it's Optivisor hands down - lens in various focal lengths, good optics of glass and a sturdy head support.

I added three flexible halogen lamps to the workbench, and a moveable halogen light for when I need it.

Old eyes need magnification and good lighting - mine are 67.

Stan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster