I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye Jigging rod
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: November 16, 2004 12:37AM

I need some help with this one since I've never lived up north and have not fished for walleye. I need to build a rod for my cousin. I did a search on this site, but most of the blanks recommended are all heavier than what I need.

Obviously, needs to be sensitive with plenty of backbone. He uses 1/16 - 1/8 ounce jigs and 8lb line, preferably 6'6" long. I need the best mix of quality, lightness, and cost, as I need to make this rod as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye Jigging rod
Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 02:27AM

GLOOMIS GL3 or IMX SG782. This is my favorite rod for jigging.

Thanks Dave

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 06:44AM

Phil,
St. Croix blanks are well reputed in the walleye category for northland fishing indeed. The economical 2S66MLF is perfect for the lure and line conditions you want. It's also hard to beat the nice Satin Black finish on this blank. A step up to the 3S66MLF would give you a more sensitive and lighter blank.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Keith Fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:04AM

I think if you build the rod on a 6'6" med. power / fast action blank from Forecast he'll be more than happy with the performance (not to mention the price).

Keith

Posted by: Jay Ross (---.ip.fedtel.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:40AM

6'6" is a tad long (we think), but there are lots of them out there jigging every summer. our personal choice is a g.loomis WJ741. it comes in a gl3 only. the blank was (according to the grapevine) designed by walleye fishermen and is given the designation "WJ" for "Walleye Jig". it's a great blank and one of our most popular sellers.

st. croix makes good blanks and i'm sure there are lots more brands that will fill the bill. just be careful not to select one with too soft a tip. look for something designated as a "fast action". most of the bend will be at the top of the rod and therefore a good hook-setter for jigging.

then, of course, there's jigging.....and then there's jigging. vertical vs. casting and swimming. for vertical jigging you might consider staying with a 6' rod. for longer casts to swim/retrieve the jig, a 6'6" will give you more distance on the cast.... although i'm not sure if the extra few feet are critical. certainly not as critical as the hook-setting advantages of a 6-footer.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:53AM

Well, to get a rod that will handle 1/16 ounce and up jigs, with a good backbone (SJ taper) you are down to two manufacturers. Loomis and Shikari. My most used jig rod for Walleye is in the 1/16 ounce class.

St. Croix is out. I love St. Croix but that great taper they have on the M and ML changes when you hit the L rating and it is a slower taper without much butt. Not a good jig rod. Panfish, yes. Walleye jigging, no.

I prefer a 6'6" rod for my jigging.

Shikari SHX PSJ661. Or a Loomis IMX SJ781. I prefer the Shikari.

I also have a PSJ662. Another great jig rod, but doesn't quite have the touch when fishing a 1/16 ounce Fireball/Shiner combo in 20' of water. That's why I built the PSJ661, and that has become my favorite jig rod. Also have a Loomis SJ782 in GL3. Not as nice as the SHX PSJ662.

If that blank is too much money step back to a SHIII or GL3. Not quite as sensitive, but still should perform well for you.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:55AM

Is the ISJ 661 the same as a PSJ 661?

I'd like to wrap this for him for a X-mas present, so the cheaper the better while still giving him something that'll impress him. I met him for the first time in 20 years while we were both over in the Middle East last year for Iraqi Freedom. He hurt his arm falling off a Humvee and looks like he will be off work (reservist) for a couple months. So thought this would be a cool thing for him, even though he won't be able to fish with a lame arm right away after the surgery.

I looked at the Forecast blanks, but most seemed more designed around bass actions. Shikari seems to be about $70 vs Loomis 105?

He said the longer rod helped keeped the jig horizontal in the water. I think he fishes rivers mainly.

Phil

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:15PM

Phil,
Actionwise the ISJ and PSJ are pretty close, the "P" SHX blanks are noticably lighter and crisper. That said the SH III are a great value, especially compared to the Loomis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster