I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good Alcohol Lamp
Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.cphaze01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 03:25PM

I am on my third alcohol lamp. Is there one on the market that DOES NOT LEAK around the cap. I have tried putting cork gasket,and epoxy.No luck.All I am doing is spinning my wheels at this point. HELP!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Alcohol Lamp
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 02, 2002 03:35PM

Dick,
Do you have the Bubble buster Alcohol lamp? We have these available also for rodbuilders. I have used one for about 2 years every day, and no problems with leaking around the cap.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.dejazzd.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 04:34PM

I also use a bubble buster and have been using the same one for about 10 years with no problems. I really like it because you can use it like a tourch by squeezing the plastic bottle and forcing air out the metal tube to make the flame go out like a tourch.

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 04:43PM

The bubble buster is certainly my choice for a dependable alcohol lamp. I got mine from Clemens Tackle several years ago. but I'm sure there are other retailers who carry it. Check the sites on the left of this page. John

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 06:40PM

I had same problem until I made my own cork stop and I also put masking tape around the cork, havent had a problem for about 5 years.. Thanks Dave's Rods

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 08:59PM

Dick
Alcohol lamps leak around the wick. They leak because when lit, the heat generated creates a pressure inside the bottle. When the flame is out the pressure is still there and pushes fluid out the wick. This can be eliminated by the simple act of loosening your cap. Loosen it ever so slightly and pressure will not build up inside. Just don't forget that you have loosened it as it may leak if set on its side.
Ralph

Wouldn't you know it!
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 09:29PM

As usual, one of the pros points out the very thing that we overlook. My tendency is to tighten the cap more when it leaks. Guess that's why the leak only got worse! I'll loosed mine just a tad now.

bubble buster
Date: March 02, 2002 10:25PM

The squeeze bottle of the bubble buster alcohol lamp you would want to keep the cap tight. Pressure release is through a nozzle there already. Loosining the cap would make the contents leak upon being squeezed. There is a cap that is kept on the lamp after extinguishing, but let it cool off first as it could melt.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: bubble buster
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 08:07AM

Dick,

I don't want to change the way you do things. Thought I would give you another option. I use a butane cigar tourch. The high intensity heat means I can keep the tip of the flame atleast 3 or 4 inches away from the epoxy. The flame is shot out under high pressure. You can sweep the flame through the air in any direction, and the flame doesn't lay down or quiver, the heat always shoots ahead of the flame. This means you can be very accurate with the direction of the heat, gives you alot of control. Since I started using a cigar tourch I have not boiled or smudged any epoxy. They can be alittle pricey compared to alcohol lamps, but it works for me. They are refillable.

Bill Doherty

Re: bubble buster vs. torch
Date: March 03, 2002 10:27AM

Bill,
The mini butane torch are a good idea as you mention and the procudure for certain finishes like Flex Coat to remove bubbles, although you wouldn't want to use this on LS Supreme as heating this finish only results in more bubbles.
The idea of the bubble buster lamp is for economy with fuel to be sure, as a refill of denatured alcohol only costs pennies as compared to the butane cartridges. Also, when using the bubble buster one can simply give a quick squeeze to propel the flame to a certain spot of bubble without actually adding lots of heat. You could also do this by blowing throught a small diameter straw on LS Supreme. I sort of use the bubble buster for double duty for a variety of tasks in busting bubbles as well as warming finish like flex coat, when it is felt necessary.

Rich

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:14PM

Why do more bubble form when heat is added to LS supreme? I had that problem the other day...it was my first time with LS supreme

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:33PM

Don,

LS Supreme generates heat on it's own. That is why it cures bubble free. Adding more heat to LS Supreme will cause it to boil, thus generating alot of tiny bubbles, that remain trapped after it cures.

Rich,

Sorry to interupt your sales pitch.

Bill Doherty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster