I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Test Casting Results
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 04:51PM

I see where Charlie is coming from. He is working with a 2 piece rod. I am currently my first spiral wrap on a 3 piece rod. I have spent a lot of time turning the tip section over to put the guides up or down. It is a pretty heavy rod (1-3 oz) and my use is going to be more boat and bait fishing than lure chunking

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:37PM

Billy - good job - stand your ground - keep up teh faith and hard work.

Tell all teh spiral wrap non believers they can see how a spiral wrap works and do a test cast rather easily. Tell them to stand on their head and make a cast with their conventional casting rod and they will see and hear teh advantage of the line being on the bottom.

Always Thinking
Gon Fishn

Posted by: fred marcuson (---.va-ashburn0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 07:15PM

ok , i was 1 of the 'test casters'....
first i really don't throw short rods ,
second i am used to throwing 6 or 8 ozs with bait .
being the first time i have thrown anything built like these rods i think i can say there were definatley differances . i own several different set-ups for fishing from conventional( concept setup), to large guide& smallguide spinning ,traditional conventional , and a few in between .
casting 10 times with 1 rod & then casting 10 times with another set-up & then 10 times with another ; then looking at the results can open your eyes ...not being a rod builder i really can't tell you the how or why ; only i am ready to do it again ( bigger rods please :) & more than 1oz )...i think we should have put a swivel at the tennis ball , might have cut down on the line fray at the clip.
as far as the 'scientific' end of the test casting ; this was a great start . the first time is the worst trying to get all the wrinkles ironed out ; the foundation has been staked out ..let's keep it going!
just let me know where & when billy. deb & i will be there .......
fred

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 07:22PM

BIll - thanx, just what I need are sarcastic scientific test, lol.

Derf, it was a pleasure meeting you & Deb for the first time. I appreciate all teh help both of you gave me i making this work as well as it was. And you are 100% correct, next time we will aim for longer rods & heavier weights.

I will be in contact for some suggestions as I am out of my element when it comes to rods which resemble a pole vault. lol.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.123.212.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 10:55PM

One of the hallmark anglers in Malaysia, Bob Chang, did a massive test in Port Dickson and found that the spiral wrapped rods clearly outcasted the conventional wrapped rods. He had some very formiddable casters helping him in this experiment. You can reach him on the malaysian fishing forum. He also said it wasn't 100% scientific, but it was as close as they could get. Also, wasn;t the world record cast distance set on braided line? Who was it John Holden or something liek that? Can't remember, but I remember seeing surf casting competitions and all the top places were on braided superlines. Just food for thought. Conditions and things change everyday and it keeps things exciting!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster