I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fixing finish -- sand or shave
Posted by: Keith Finlayson (204.185.231.---)
Date: November 15, 2004 10:47AM

I have just put the second coat of finish on a rod, this is my second rod. On a couple of the guides, I got too much finish on them and it is rounded rather than flat. After talking to some people and reading in the archives I have found 2 ways to fix it. One is to shave it off with a razor blade, the other is to sand it with a block.

My questions are: is one method better than the other, or is it a matter of personal preference? If using sandpaper, which grade of sandpaper should be used?

It has been about two weeks since I applied this coat. I have also read that it should be roughed up some with a scouring pad so that it will adhere better. Any type of pad better than others?

Thanks,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fixing finish -- sand or shave
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.174.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 10:55AM

If the bulges are very large, you may wish to shave them down with a single edge blade and then follow by block sanding to get them smooth and consistent. 220 grip is probably enough and I would follow that with some 320 to minimize the sanding scratches. A quick going over with 400 and you should then be ready to recoat.

We see this problem a lot on this forum. One answer that can save you future frustration is to watch your rod wraps as the finish is setting. If you see the finish getting heavy, or lumpy or developing sags, chances are you've got too much finish on there and you should take your brush or spatula (or whatever tool you use to apply finish) and remove the offending sag or lump before it sets.

Even if you use a motorized rotator or dryer of some sort, don't just walk away and leave matters to chance. Check back on your rod 20, 30 or 40 mintues after you've applied finish and remove any heavy lumps or sags before the finish has set.

Posted by: Keith Finlayson (204.185.231.---)
Date: November 15, 2004 10:59AM

Thanks Tom, I will get the sandpaper out tonight and give it a shot. None of them are very bad, but why not get it just like I want it. That is the beauty of this, your finished product will reflect the time and effort that one puts into it.

I knew that was a "common question" and really did try to find the answer before posting. You guys are great on here. Almost always I can find my questions without posting and just looking in the archives.

What a great resource.

Keith

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2004 12:16PM

Shave and sand as noted above.

One thing that MAY contrubute to the football syndrome may be the applying of "green finish". Roger Seider, Flexcoat, talks about waiting for five minutes or so before you apply finish to decorative butt wraps. His statement is "apply the finish to the guides first and wait at least five minutes before you apply to the butt section - the finish tends to do funny things if applied before polymerization starts to take place". I asked him about this and he seems to think that there are internal forces withing the film that can cause pulling, lumping and dimples, during the initial early stages of the resin drying process. I use Flexcoat Lite on guides and wait for at least 5 minutes before applying after mixing and aluminum pan bubble out. I initially had a lot of trouble with "footballs" but since I started waiting and doing the guides off the turner manually I get nice flat finish on guide wraps.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:32PM

I used to sand and I used to reccomend it. But after having several cases where I hit the threads (near the ends of the wrap where the finish may be very thin) I have pretty much given that up. It takes about 4 coats of light finish to even start to fix a case of the "fuzzies". I cut and scrape with a sharp edge now if I have a lump.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 11:27PM

I used Flex-Coat for years and sometimes still do. I prefer LS Supreme regular, but this works for both: Get a first coat on fast. Then go back to the first guide you wrapped. Fine-tune the finish by making everything you want to cover is covered and removing excess finish (bulges). I apply finish on a 16 or 18 rpm dryer. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster