I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod shop tool question
Posted by: Larry Tysinger (12.145.80.---)
Date: November 15, 2004 09:12AM

I have been looking at a mini bandsaw, mini table saw, and a mini drill press, for a new rod shop I'm building.

I will be using these tools for rod building, pen making, and other small projects. I have a mini lathe.

I would appreciate any post showing make and model number of any of the above three tools that you are happy with their performance. I have a mini Delta bandsaw and have not had much success in using. I don't like the 3/8th blade or the way the adjustments are made.

I have looked at a new Roybi model bandsaw that has ball bearing adjustments and a 1/2 blade. It also can cut up to 10 inches (I think most are 9 inch), But I have never owned a Roybi tool and not sure of their performence.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod shop tool question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.47.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 09:18AM

Frankly, I don't find any of the small hobby type machines to be very accurate or very high on the quality scale. For the most part, the larger machines will still perform well on smaller projects, but not the other way around. Thus, I'm always tempted to buy full size machines and good ones at that.

You've got the room and can afford good tools, so I'd skip the hobby tools and buy the best around.

The long time industry standard Delta 14" bandsaw is a good all around unit. I haven't kept up, the Jet or others may be as good now. All the drill presses are shoddy, from Delta right on down the line. Get the old style General - it's the last home shop press that is truly high quality. If I was going to buy a table saw right now, I'd look at either the DeWalt or Jet cabinet type with the sliding table. Very handy and they appear to be pretty decent for the money.

I know these tools are expensive and may seem like overkill. I also know you and know why you bought a OneWay lathe. You're going to end up replacing all the hobby type machines you buy anyway, so you might as well go ahead and get really good stuff the first time around.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 09:48AM

I to have ro agree with Tom. You will be more happy with the bigger equipment. I use a 14" bandsaw for taking off reel seats, eva, cork grips. I use a chop saw cutting blanks. I use a floor drill press for all other things that arise. My shop were I do all this is an inclosed back patio. So these items don't take up as much room as you think they would.

Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 10:31AM

I subscribe to a couple of woodworking mags. They review tools from time to time and for the most part Ryobi doesn't make to the top. You might check out the current issue of American Woodworker as it has a review of bandsaws.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.171.12.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 02:48PM

Don't forget a variable speed Dremel tool with an assortment of accessories.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:51PM

I am missing something here. You have a mini lathe or a Oneway lathe?

For what you are doing, it sounds like you would be better served with a good bandsaw rather than a poor band saw and a poor table saw. At least the Delta 14". I do not think the close imitations are as good, personally. I bought a 18" Jet for the shop and it looks nice until you start making the adjustments, etc. It works, but there is always some micky mouse stuff to save 20 bucks on them. I do not like any bandsaw with small wheels including the 3 wheel ones because they require the use of a thin blade that does not cut well.

Toms is certainly a good suggestion for a drill press, but then any drill press is more accurate than drilling by hand. But I am not sure you need a press right away with what you mentioned you want to do.

Table saw only if building shelves, cabinets, etc. And then get a solid one. The Contractors saw with a belt driven induction motor at least. Better a Unisaw.

Personally I would suggest shopping for a good bandsaw first and the reevaluating the needs after you work with it for a while.

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:16PM

Oneway makes mini lathes too. The 1018 and 1224. But I can't afford neither.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster