I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FIRST WRAP - need a beer!
Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: November 14, 2004 06:20PM

what am i doing wrong? cork handle etc turned out pretty good on 6' spinning rod. then did first wrap on butt guide (corect terminology ?). took like 20 minutes, had to use thumbnail on almost every turn to get thread to behave and go straight, next to previous wrap. tried diff. angles of thread coming off spool. i think i read or saw where each guide should take about a minute to complete. my minutes must be a @#$%& of a lot longer that his minutes! ok-obviously did it wrong. but what? ALSO- i want to make 2 piece blanks out of cheaper one piece blanks. is it done? can i just cut a one peice in half and add a ferrule? haven't seen any ferrules listed on any of the wholesale sites yet. THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FIRST WRAP - need a beer!
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 06:33PM

Beer is good. Drink more after you wrap instead of before. :-)

A couple of suggestions that might help a new wrapper.

When you start the wrap, take 5 or 6 turns and don't worry about the spacing or gaps. After the 5-6 turn, grab the tag end and pull it out as you wrap. This will clean up the starting edge. Keep pulling out the tag end as you wrap until you reach the end of the guide foot. Once there, lay the tag end along the guide foot and clip. Continue up the foot with the wrapping thread at a slight angle behind the wrap.

Another common problem is if you do not grind the guide foot thin enough, it will cause the thread to bunch at the beginning of the foot. The angle is too steep and will create a gap. This transition needs a shallow angle for the thread to move smoothly up the foot and not create gaps or humps of thread as you wind up.

You'll get it. Hang in there.

Terry

Date: November 14, 2004 06:49PM

thanks TERRY. will try the tag end trick on next guide. i had to go back and regrid the foot 3x before i was happy w/it, but the thread jumped up on it and worked great. im wondering though. homer simpson says "beer is good" too. are you leading a double life? if i dring 3 beers before and 3 during the wrap, or 6 after, its still 6 beers in the same time period. so whats ur point?

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 06:49PM

Ditto on everything Terry said. The main thing is to make sure that there is a slight angle on the thread so that the thread tends to push against the wraps you've already done. After you gain a little more confidence, you might try spinning the rod a little faster. I assume you are wrapping by hand by the way. If not, let us know.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea14.15.118.90.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 06:57PM

I still think the biggest thing is just doing it over and over again. The high point for me came when I could simply pull a wrap off and redo if it didn't come out the way I wanted. It gets faster and easier each time.

Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 07:10PM

Everybody takes a long time wrapping their first couple of rods. Like anything else it takes some experience and repitition before you'll get faster.

I think there is an article on the library page that has info on making multipiece rods. If not I know one has run in Rodmaker.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 07:21PM

Terry,

Yes, you can "section" (cut) a one-piece blank to make a two piece. Mudhole (to the left) has a variety of metal ferrules. If you're thinking of cutting a blank you can use a very fine metal blade hacksaw. Rotate th blank so that you scribe the outside finish and go slowly to let the saw teeth do the work. I'd bet that if you called MudHole they would set you up with one of their "special" rod blanks and the appropriate size ferrule to go with it. They're inexpensive enough to practice on and will make up into a nice rod when you're done. If you don't want to use a metal ferrule try a search here find information on "plug type" ferrules.

Date: November 14, 2004 07:46PM

Ken Preston wrote:

> Terry,
>
> Yes, you can "section" (cut) a one-piece blank to make a two
> piece. Mudhole (to the left) has a variety of metal ferrules.
> If you're thinking of cutting a blank you can use a very fine
> metal blade hacksaw. Rotate th blank so that you scribe the
> outside finish and go slowly to let the saw teeth do the
> work. I'd bet that if you called MudHole they would set you
> up with one of their "special" rod blanks and the appropriate
> size ferrule to go with it. They're inexpensive enough to
> practice on and will make up into a nice rod when you're done.
> If you don't want to use a metal ferrule try a search here
> find information on "plug type" ferrules.
thanks for the advice. i want to do the handles and my daughter wants to wrap, but she had very limited space thus the need for 2 piece rods.

Date: November 14, 2004 07:49PM

thanks everyone for all the tips. i will call mudhole tomorrow. anyone in particular i should ask for or just call and hope they know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 07:58PM

John,
I hate to agree with both Larry and Ken ( Ken who uses his dog's tail to apply epoxy) but I do. Do a good job of grinding down the guide foot and take your time. Wrapping guides, it is like a lot of things, it just takes a little parctice. You will get the hand of it. There are two additional suggestions that I would like to make.
#1. Don't take any advice from Ken on applying epoxy.
#2. You migh try switching from beer to wine.

Posted by: Bill Swift (---.snlo.dialup.fix.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:16PM

Yes, Mr. Harry is quite correct. That would be Central California Coast wine.

Date: November 14, 2004 08:16PM

John -
I've had excellent service from everyone I've spoken with at Mudhole - Scott is simply a wonderful guy to deal with -- as is everyone there. Tom McNamara must go out of his way interviewing people before he hires them.
Emory -- if it's red wine I'm with you in the switch from beer. My dog likes beer too much so I have to split one with her now and again. She hasn't (yet) acquired a taste for red wine - but as a female will dive into the white zin.

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:58PM

Hey Ken, you must have been sneaking down to the Barossa Valley to get a red wine liking like that. Long drive from where you where stationed. After a drive like that a beer would be better.

Myles

Date: November 14, 2004 09:16PM

Myles -
Long drive down to Barossa (with tinnies along the way in Mintabe and Coober Pedy for sure) - but that whole area is magnificent! The best thing we did is plan in advance and stay at a winery over the wine festival. And I think Adelade is about the nicest "big little city" I've ever visited - ANYWHERE. I enjoyed Perth and Cairns and Brissie too -- Noosa is wonderful but for the lay out, ease of commute, wide green barrier between the city proper and suburbs, proximity to the ocean / gulf, the variety of seafood especially the crayfish (lobster to us here) -- it is simply the best - and the trout farms to the north are pretty spectacular too!

Date: November 14, 2004 09:18PM

Emory Harry wrote:

> John,
> I hate to agree with both Larry and Ken ( Ken who uses his
> dog's tail to apply epoxy) but I do. Do a good job of grinding
> down the guide foot and take your time. Wrapping guides, it is
> like a lot of things, it just takes a little parctice. You
> will get the hand of it. There are two additional suggestions
> that I would like to make.
> #1. Don't take any advice from Ken on applying epoxy.
> #2. You migh try switching from beer to wine.

well, i tried that stuff called wine once, but the THUNDERBIRD was like whiskey and the MD2020 tasted like paint thinner (don't ask), and the BOONES HILL made me wanna dress up in lace, so i quit all that and just stick to the old stand by, pabst, or coors, or such as that. tonights treat is bud light. and on my second wrap, i did like 3/4 of it w/out having to use the thumb. so that just proves my point, more beer = faster wraps. i shoulda been a scientist.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 11:07PM

Stick to the PBR!! When you get it down to 4 wraps per can, you'll be in good shape (especially if you wrap 40 guides each nite)!! :)

Putter

Posted by: Rick Keefer (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 11:23PM

John, you are so close in your equation but it's bassakwards. Should be "faster wraps = more beer"[6.72873 /-478.290.26]+.741*4.863/68.2873 * the Square Root of Pi= more Beer. See how ease that was ? It ain't rocket science. The fast you wrap the more beers you can drink when finished. And Emory, I think Ken might be on to something using the dogs tail, after it would as some structure to the epoxy by the addition of the minute amount of hair left over. We all know that Ken sands the outside of his epoxy jobs so as to not to offend anyone.

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster