I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Advertisers response to JCastwell's Article
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.235.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 02:23PM

Steve,

If that post made by Mr. S. Ransom was submitted to the FAOL bulletin board, and it was on the up and up, and it was deleted, then FAOL does indeed have a problem with journalistic integrity. Removing posts because they are insulting, slanderous, contain foul language, contrary to site advertising policies, etc., is one thing, removing them because they simply offer a differing opinion is altogether different.

I'd like to think that there is more to the story than this. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't. I really don't know. I've stated the reasons that TackleWorks will remain as a sponsor there. However I do have problems with anyone that might be lacking in fairness, honesty and/or integrity and would pull any of my advertising if that were found to be the case at FAOL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 03:00PM

I made a ealier post and forgot to say Mr. Castwell has a right yo his opinion. We have all expressed our opinions on this topic. What it shows is all of us have to educate the public about the advantages of a good custom rod. Like I said earlier it is not the cosmyics that make a custom rod, it is how the rod was designed. Educating the public is the best way to sell a custom rod. If you think that those professional Bass fishermen are using off the wall products think again. These guys have a lot of input on the products they are using, which the manucture takes inconsideration when building their products.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 03:51PM

Tom, I agree with you that pulling sponsorship because of that article would be a mistake. However, if Mr Castwell is pro-factory, which I certainly felt he was, then he should have said so up front and made his points as to why or why not. Whether he wants to be or not, because he sponsors the website, and because he posts the article, he is perceived as an authority because he, like you publish a website. He has the additional responsibility to be either balanced or open to the possibility that people may or may not disagree with him. I would have a little more respect for him from that perspective. In a number of posts, he says his intent was to inform the reader of both sides of the issue. The bottom line is that he failed miserably at that. The up-side is that his article and my response along with a number of other responders, has generated quite a bit of dialogue, which I is the most positive outcome, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on. Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.229.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:00PM

That's quite true and whether or not he intended it, the article may end up generating more good publicity for custom rods and custom rod builders than could have been bought at any price.

I once worked for a fellow who was found of this saying: "Any talk is good talk, as long as they're talking." I suspect there is some truth to that. Fact is, I doubt his article will keep anyone from building their own or buying custom, but the response to that article may encourage many to actually jump in and give it a try.

The thing I did want to point out, is that Jim's attitude towards custom rods is very much in tune with the that of the vast majority of anglers. So if it offends us, or we feel it's unfair, we need to take on the whole of the angling world, not just Jim or FAOL.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:21PM

tom brought up "journalistic integrity." as a journalist myself, i have to mention that just because it's written somewhere and viewable by anybody with internet access does not make it journalism. believe me when i say, journalists have integrity (i run into many during my work who say otherwise ;-). each journalist i know and work with has integrity. those that don't do not last long in the real journalism business.

the jcastwell article this thread is referring to is simply a opinion piece. those that own FAOL can do nearly anything they want when it comes to publishing but please we cannot consider it journalism. the problem is that so many believe what they read on the internet as truth.

if one were to measure in sports terms, j castwell in the end wins for all of the publicity his site has generated from the article. i admit, i haven't visited FAOL in months but this thread had me returning to see what it was all about.

in a private email with someone posting to FAOL's thread about the article, it appears the article has created one more who is willing to try rodbuilding. interesting....

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:30PM

Eric -

My point was this was presented as a "fair idea" not Op-Ed. Nor would I let any Op-Ed piece slide that was so poorly researched.

If someone (who was respected) wrote an opinion piece saying all fly fishermen were elitist snobs or all conventional anglers were ruining our environment with beer cans and bait containers. They could surely back it up with some sparse anecdotal evidence, but it doesn't make it right.

IMO even Op-ed pieces should have some integrity behind them.

Christian

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 06:48PM

This Castwell dude should probably have said that HIS custom rods weren't very good and HIS custom rods didn't sell well.To pretend to know what the rest of our abilities are or what any of us can sell rods for isn't fair and isn't smart. I'm sorry if Castwell doesn't have the knack for the rod building but it doesn't mean that I don't.

Posted by: John Launstein (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 07:11PM

Yeesh! I must've been in an epoxy-induced coma for a few days, 'cause I missed all the excitement! :(

Tom's response on a recent thread in this re: at FAOL is outstanding...thank you for all you do for our craft and industry as a whole, Tom, and for your gracious manner.

I, too, have met Jim and Deanna and happen to really like them. And I, too, was disappointed with JC's overall position expressed in the article, especially as our rod company, G&L FlyCraft, is about to become sponsors of their site! But, as Tom and others state above, he's entitled to his opinion and the truth is he probably makes more good points in his article than questionable ones, and at the very least (as already noted), he's gotten an interesting discussion going on about our craft in a forum that sees a ton of traffic.

Steve, I'm really disappointed by his use of your ad. I know Steve and happened to have fished with one of his rods for a season and can state with sincerity that he is an excellent builder and uses only the best blanks and components. I'm not surprised that his new--and very learned--"customer" is impressed...Steve is an example of the craftsmen Tom refers to positively in his response at FAOL.

And Christian, thanks for bringing this up here!

John

Rocky Mountain

Posted by: John Launstein (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:25PM

Hey--just posted an alternate perspective to JC's at @#$%& under "Custom vs. Production Rods".

John

G&L FlyCraft

and

Rocky Mountain

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:46PM

John L.
Nicely written piece on FAOL. I'm still working at creating "the Stradivarius" (and probably will continue to work at it and work at it and work at it).

Posted by: Bill Sorbie (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:03PM

First, I don't think when Mr. castwell said "fair" he meant balanced. I read it as fair- sufficient but not ample : ADEQUATE <a fair understanding of the work> . I have not nor probably will ever build a rod myself, but as a result of this article and the many responses, may have one made. The article to me said that you should be aware of what is involved in building your own rod, or be sure of who builds it for you. While I'm sure the quality of most of your custom rods is superior to factory rods, the fact is if you see a custom rod for sale on @#$%& etc. you have no idea if this was done by a pro or joe first-timer. If and when I do have a rod made, I will do my research and find a proffesional to do it.
Second, I just can't believe a simple article has caused such a fuss! I think the only rod builders who have anything to worry about from this article are those very few "custom" builders that just don't care about the quality of rods they sell.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:36PM

Hold on Mr Sorbie. While I appreciate your opinion, please don't insult those of us who did read the article thoroughly and felt it was rife with misconceptions. I am educated enough to read and form my own opinions without assistance. I am not sorry I rocked the bulletin board boat by expressing an opinion contrary to the author's. That is what open discussion means. Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:39PM

OK, OK - who's gonna blindfold Castwell and force him to cast a factory rod & a custom rod on the same blank and tell us which one he likes the best. Sorta like a Coke vs. Pepsi test.

Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:40PM

Custom versus production at 40 paces?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:57PM

If Mr. Castwell knew how to build a truely custom rod, he'd change his name to Mr. Castbetter!!

Putter

Posted by: Bill Sorbie (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 11:17PM

Mr. Vernacchio,
I am glad you appreciate my opinion, for that is what it is. It is not and was not an insult to anyone. Nor was I trying to assist you in your opinion. You are free to disagree or not with anyone you choose and it makes no difference to me.This was my first response to that article on either board and I was not defending or agreeing with it, I simply expressed ( as a non builder) my impression. Frankly I don't think any more (or less) about any rod builders because of that article or anyones responses. As I said before, if and when I buy a custom rod I will be sure I am getting what I want from someone who has a good reputation and the references to back it up.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 12:54AM

he just posted this reply to the top post. this should tell you guys how much journalistic integrity he has, for trashing custom rods which he is obviously an expert on :) :

Silvertop2;
Quick question---I was once told that the spline was actually the meeting point where the grafite "sheet" (???) came together as it wrapped around the mold/mandrel (what ever you call it). I was also "told" that the spline is actually a bit thicker (or thiner???) than the rest of the blank. I'd like to learn more about what; 1) is the "spline" and 2) what causes it to come into being. Maybe silly questions but I think germaine....btw, I've built a few rods, from generic brands and from middle to higher end range brands and I always spend a lot of time making sure that I have located the splines in order to install the guides in the proper axis point. Have I wasted my time on that portion of the rod building process???

J Castwell;
Silvertop, Got a question for you. Say you find the spine/spline and put your guides on one side or the other. If you put them on one side it should make the rod stiffer, if on the opposite side it should make that side stiffer, right? So which side should they go on? It seems like one way they would stiffen the rod for casting, if on the other side would be stiffer for fighting a fish. I have no idea which it should be. Help me out here please.

Date: November 15, 2004 01:36AM

Hey guys slow up!! I emailed Mr. Castwell asking why he was down on custom rod builders this is his wife's responce.
Dear Bob,
Appreciate your comments. Yes, we have been well versed on how fly rods are designed and produced. I was the first woman on the G. Loomis Pro Staff and have been through every part of their plant. We live 8 miles from Sage and have also been through their production facility. We also were given the honor of a tour through the now closed Rain Shadow plant in Sequim.

JC's article was not, repeat, was NOT about professional rod builders. It was directed at the guy who is considering building his first rod himself. That's it.

JC HAS designed rods professionally; you've unfortunately made some assumptions which are not true. We've been around fly fishing for over 50 years, each. We have good friends who are custom rod builders, know most of the companies and a great share of the cane builders as well.

We know there are very good professional rod builders out there - but we also know of more than one who passes themselves off as "custom rod builders" who don't know how to put a handle/grip on a fly rod. Rods sure looked great though until the handles fell off as the rod was cast. Four of those that we know of from the same 'builder'.

I'm sure you are totally professional in your dealings, which is terrific. The article was not aimed at you.

Regards,
Deanna Birkholm (LadyFisher)
Publisher, Fly Anglers OnLine
[]
360-697-3905
I hope this puts some light on the subject. I think if we had done some research we may have had a differnt opinion of Mr. Brinkholm. Even if his artical seamed one sided and not professional. I get that way at times even on the building sites when I am excited. An send out a message that is full of type O's
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 15, 2004 02:19AM

This is just damage control.

Quote from article:
"Some say you can, or can have made for you, a rod using a blank from a major company that is superior to one made by the factory. No offense to you custom rod builders out there, but, remember, these guys make rods all day long, they get pretty good at it."

"Having one made for you" can not be "directed at the guy who is considering building his first rod himself."

Next Quote from the Article:
"Will the guy who made it for you still be in business? At home? Alive? How long will it take him to get a new tip section and make it up for you? Worth anything?"

Will what guy? Business?
I thought this was an article not talking about professional rod builders.

The article makes no distinction between good/poor builders. It lumps factory vs. everyone else.

I'm sorry but I'm as offended by Deanna's poor response as I was the original article. I did read the original article and I could quite clearly see exactly who it was aimed at. In fact it's stated quite clearly.

Quote for article:
"the factory rod is the way to go."

Date: November 15, 2004 04:20AM

Good point Christian. What Castwell should do is clarify what he means. I went to his site and the responce there is just about the sanme as it is here
Good Wraps Bob

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster