I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

salmon/browns fly rod blank suggestion
Posted by: eric spicher (---.dialupat.pennswoods.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 12:18AM

I am looking for any suggestion on a good blank for fishing lake onterio trips (oak orchard and salmon river) for salmon and lake run browns. I was recently up there and was using my PA steelhead rod a 10"6" noodle rod blank fitted with fly components, but think it was too light for tossing the weight that was needed in NY and too week for landing salmon. Any suggestions would be appriciated. thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: salmon/browns fly rod blank suggestion
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 01:58AM

I've been using a Sage RPL 890 for the past ten years or so on the Salmon River. It has battled plenty of big salmon, as well as winter steelies. The same model is available now in the VPS line. Light weight, strong, and durable.

In fact, just recently it helped me land this beauty:

[www.globalflyfisher.com]

(forgive the strap in the pic - wouldn't it figure)

Bob

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 09:05AM

Eric,
For fly fishing big browns and king salmon on the Lake Michigan tribs I used a 3 pc., St. Croix Legend in an 8 weight. an 8 wt. lets me get the big flies to them and provides me with enough backbone for putting some pressure on the fish (see fish fighting article in latest RM mag. issue). The 3 pc is nice because though I am in driving distance of Lake Michigan I can pack it for trips to warmer climates for fly fishing the salt.

I strongly suggest single foot Fuji SIC guides with titanium frames.
Good luck and have fun with the build.

Cans down, fish on,

Buzz Butters

Posted by: Bob Maulucci (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:35PM

I like the 10' Dan Craft FT rods. I would use an 8 or possibly even a 9 wt since you are also after kings. The Sage RPL+ 896 is also a great rod for the Ontario tribs.
Buzz's advice on fish fighting is dead on. That was an excellent piece by Tom, and we owe it to the fish (browns and steelies) to release them alive. I have found that both blanks above really allow me to put the stick to them. I landed four steelies yesterday with the FT 10' for 8 and my Lamson Velocity 3.5 reel, and I was in total control of the fish and not the other way around.
The ability to land fish quickly is especially important on some of the smaller Ontario stretches where anglers downstream refuse to clear their lines when a fish runs. Furthermore, I have had it happen to me several times when I have chased fish and came back to find my prime spot in the pool taken by an interloper. Can you tell that gets me fired up!

Good luck, Bob Maulucci

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster