I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rpm for guide wrap epoxying
Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 02:16PM

Does anyone apply epoxy to guide wraps
while the rod is spinning in the lathe? Or is it better to apply first, then spin it? Is it better to do one thick coat, or lots of thin ones untill it is smooth? Whats a good speed
for spinning rods with fresh epoxy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rpm for guide wrap epoxying
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: November 12, 2004 02:52PM

I finish the wraps completely off the stand, allowing the completed sections to turn at a very low rpm. I never have had any luck trying to level a lumpy wrap with a second coat, so use very thin coats. Lately, I have been finishing with 2 coats of varnish and one of epoxy to get the smoothest possible finish.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 03:55PM

Levi -
I apply epoxy to the guide areas (the areas where the guide comes closest to the blank with the rod in the dryer but stationary - do one side then the other. I apply the remainder (out toward the ends of the wraps) with the rod turning as I am able to get a much more even, smooth finish on the wrap ends that way. I routinely use two thin coats of epoxy except on the heaviest rods when I switch to one thin coat ("lite build") followed several hours later by a thicker ("high build") finish. Although I have no proof I think (or feel) that I get better penetration into the threads with a first thin application - and more even "fill" under the wraps in the tunnel between the guide foot and blank - when a color preserver is not used. I also use a small heat gun (hobby model) to warm the finish while it is turning to remove any small bubbles that might develop.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 04:03PM

I do get the wraps in one coat of high build finish, but too much finish is too much and will cause "footballs". I guess experience is the key here. Putting too much on will cause you problems. Might be better to go with two thinner coats until you get the hang of it.
Putter

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 04:22PM

I have always only applied finish to a turning rod. I have a 4rpm mtor, and an 18 rom motor. I can get level wraps with either, but am becoming more adapted to the faster motor. I apply and dry on the same speed. I traditionally use two to three coats of FlexCoat Lite Build, but just ordered high build, mainly for repairs I want to turn around with as little labor and time as possible. Most often, even with metallics, I am applying over CP, so I don't get thread penetration. I count on the CP to act as a thread lock, and then do my finish.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.248.232.197.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 04:23PM

When applying epoxy, I have the rod in the rollers, but I turn it by hand for maximum control.

Once I get the epoxy applied, I drop down my drying motor and let it take over from there. I think the drying motor I have turns at about 20 RPM.

Two coats is certainly a good way for an excellent finish. For your first coat, apply epoxy heavily, soak the threads for a minute and then remove all the epoxy you can wick off. Let dry, and then apply a "good looking" second coat, and your final product should look very professional.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 09:45PM

Yes, I apply finish with the rod mounted in a lathe. To do the edges of the thread I spin the rod at a moderate speed - too fast and the finish slings off. The speed helps make a nice clean edge just beyond the thread edge (onto the blank itself). Since the lathe turns easily I can do the areas around the guide feet without any trouble.

I am real careful not to dab finish over the tunnel openings to allow the air to vent as the finish wicks into the thread. I too use two coats - the 1st a thin "wetting" coat that is so thin that the thread texture is plainly visible, so thin that there is no way for bubbles to form since there is no surface tension. The 2nd coat goes on a little thick and is what build up the coating. I don't use color preserver since I want thread pentration by the epoxy finish only. I use a propane torch to lightly flame the 2nd finishing coat if needed to get rid of bubbles.

BTW, the finishing rod lathe is used only for finishing.

Lou

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 01:48PM

Levi,
I use a Flexcoat turning motor at 18RPM while applying epoxy. This is a good speed for applying the clear rings at ends of thread, and then remains on for drying the clear. This motor is a little spendy, but has seen thousands of hours of use and is still going strong! I use Flexcoat Lite, and have also used the PacBay Rodsmith 2 part epoxy with good results. Using two coats gives me the best results, but I do many with one coat. Angler's Workshop sells a little torch called a Bubble Buster, which uses denatured alcohol, and works great for heating the epoxy to remove bubbles. This also causes it to sag faster, for evening up the coat. Just take care applying heat against a graphite blank- it only takes a second of direct heat to destroy the blank. Good Luck! *Fran- if you're doing repairs of one or two guides, try Rodbuilder's. It only requires half an hour of turning, and is usable in a couple hours. I also use 5 minute on a single wrap repair, but it is very touchy! If it gets too hot while removing bubbles, it will lock in place. At best I have 3 minutes work time with it, at worst less than a minute.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 11:51PM

I put mine on a turning rod. About 18. I use Glass Coat thined till there are no bubbles in it. " one thing not to worry about " Put it starting in the center and working to the ends. let it sit a few minutes then apply more. No bubbles, levels very well

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 09:38AM

I apply LS with a motor that runs at 40RPM.I definitely like it and it makes making straight lines along the threa edges a breeze.I can still dry at 40RPM as well with LS if I have to(haven't had any problems with it),but will probably build up another motor setup soon and drop my driers down to 18-20RPM.

The 40RPM motor is pretty versatile for me.I'm not sure what speed would be best on a lathe though?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 09:51AM

Mine is a 40 RPM motor that is geared to also run at a slow speed. This way I use the high speed to coat the butt wraps and handles and then slow it down for the guide wraps by means of O-Rings on different size pulles

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 01:33PM

??? If you are applying finish while the motor is turning how do you deal ithe the security wraps past a single foot V frame guide. If the thing is turning you must be quick!! Flexcoat slip clutch looks like the only way to me or stop the thing from turning and apply manually. I have watched the guys at Allstar in Houston applying finish to a seven foot casting rod in 13 seconds at 200 rpm - but they don't wrap past the guide.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster