I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Length
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 08:27AM

An exchange of posts below makes me realize: we discuss endlessly the subject of guide selection, number, size and placement, with respect to both casting distance and "feel". But placement of the reel seat and the resulting butt length is in my view equally important, but not given much attention. And since this placement depends not only on the blank and its intended use, but also on the individual angler, it is a crucial factor in the design of a custom rod. Would like to see more about this. As a starter: suppose a customer asks you to build him a 6'6" spinning rod, but he isn't specific about butt length. What questions, measurements, etc. would guide you in deciding where to locate the reel seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Length
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.41.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 08:48AM

Check back issues of RodMaker where it has been thoroughly covered. Particularly the volume 7 #1 issue.

You have to remember that this site is more of a quick Q&A forum, while the magazine has the more in-depth and definitive information.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.179.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 09:53AM

By the way, nothing at all wrong with discussing handle length here - I just wanted to mention that we've done quite a bit on it in te magazine articles. It is a great topic for discussion.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:07AM

For a 6' 6" spinning rod, IMO, 8" to 10" butt grip is appropriate, depending on the fisherman. Fore grips seem to be the most controversial. Some like none at all, others, like me, like 4" or more because we hold onto the foregrip when fighting fish. I guess you can say, there is no set standard. John Butterfield

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:12AM

Butt length was actually the reason I got started with custom rods. All the 6'6" rods in the stores had butts longer than I wanted. Needed a shorter butt, combination of my arm length and how I actually hold the rod when casting/fishing. In particular, when I'm working finesse baits, I want the end of the rod to be just short of the inside bend of my elbow. And that's one way I set up my layout now, though it's not the way I do it for every rod.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:44AM

Custom - built for the fisherperson is the key. How they fish and what they are fishing for determines the butt lenght. I will bet Mr. Butterfield has the butt stuck in his belly and is hanging on for dear life, to the four inch foregrip, with a bull red or lemon fish wearing him out. If you are in this position and the butt is too short you have a devil of a time cranking a spinning reel. As far as the first sentence goes I never thought this old man would be gender sensitive but the last three rods I have done are for female fishing guides!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 11:43AM

I also like the Butt to come almost to my elbow on spinning rods. However, on casting rods like musky rods I use the distance from the reel seat to my belly. If too long that's uncomfortable. I know one musky guide that likes extra long butt so he can actually tuck the handle under his armpit to work jerk baits more easily. (His belly doesn't stick out as far as mine) :>)

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.248.233.193.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 08:03PM

Great subject, and reading it, I realize that I've fished in all the above ways, but my rod butts seem to fall in only two categories:

Surf rods, I make the butt long enough to put under my arm or in a sand spike, and everything else, I make 10-12", just inside the bend in my elbow for freedom to impart action, yet long enough to brace on my hip or stomach when fighting a big fish.

And I LOVE when the fish are so big I need to put the butt in my gut!
:-)

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster