I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about mandrels
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 01:55PM

I've always just glued the rings to the blank and turned the blank.When using a mandrel do you just glue the cork to a steel rod,and then turn the cork while on the steel mandrel?How do you get it off ? Tap the mandrel with a hammer while in the cork press?Are there any advantages other than not worrying about damaging the blank?Thanks for your help.....................Kyle

Uno mas,what's the best size and material?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about mandrels
Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: March 01, 2002 02:09PM

Don't know how the others do it, but my mandrels are threaded on each end. I glue up my rings and put the nuts and washers on each end and tighten them up as necessary. When set, I just put the mandrel in my lathe and turn and sand. Then take them off and do the final reaming. Use some wax or something on the mandrel to keep the epoxy from sticking to it.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 02:16PM

well back n the day i would just epoxy rings stright to the blank and then turn all my cork then.. now i can buy better grade finished cork and i dont mess with glue up... the mandral gives you a couple added steps but its a littel safer first you need to wax the mandral before glue up so u can remove the grip and u should use someware between 7/16-1/2 " inch nice and stable for
chucking in a lathe if your doing small dia blank work i.e. 1/4-3/8" adjust mandral size of course ...if you scrap a grip on the mandral no biggie but u scrap on the blank BIG OOPS ....
lots of extra work. in my opinion reaming the grip is a pain period. and a sharp blow by a hammer will help remove grip from mandral "do not hit grip and remember a steel hammer will deform your mandral i.e chucking problems later on" hope this helps ....John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 02:25PM

Smooth steel mandrels such as drill rod are excellent and usually very, very straight. If you do not have a lathe capable of handling the entire length of rod, mandrels allow you turn on just about any sort of wood or metal lathe.

Coat the mandrel with paraffin wax prior to gluing your rings on. They will stay put while turning and afterwards you can "pop" the grip off the mandrel without any trouble.

If you do a search on this topic you find will find tons of info from previous discussions here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster