I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Supplies in MD, DC, VA area
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 05:53PM

Anyone know of a shop within reasonable driving distance of DC?

I'm in Bethesda/Rockville and willing to drive to Frederick/Baltimore if necessary.

I'm starting on a few projects and would like to have access to supplies without having to wait three or four days for the mail to get here...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Supplies in MD, DC, VA area
Posted by: Mike Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:17PM

Gonna be tough. Other than a few really large dealers scattered about the Country, places that sell rod building supplies are few and far between. If you do find one around they don't usually have very much. Good luck but I think you're going to do better just ordering your stuff like most of us do. About anybody that carries any kind of decent selection is listed in the column to the left.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:52PM

Do not overlook the Directory listing at the top of the board. You will probably find a builder within a few miles of you house that you can visit and get parts from him. Make a call, arrange a visit and make a friend for life. The learning curve will go up like a rocket!!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 09:45PM

Scott , We are Fishsticks4u located near Richmond Va. We are on the sponsor list on the left .We will be glad to try to provide what you need in a timely manner.Please note our discounts and specials on our web site . If you have any questions please call us at 804-746-9711 or 804-966-7577 . Robert

Date: November 10, 2004 10:43PM

Robert (and others)-- thanks for the replies

sounds like Fishsticks4u is the best option right now for local parts. in Oregon, seemed like there was a rodbuilding shop everywhere i looked. in minnesota even (lived there last five years), there were two within an hour's drive. i'd think in an area like DC/Baltimore, there would be one to serve 2million+ people :).

anyway, coming from Richmond, I can't imagine taking more than a day or two. better than three (or more!) for cross country. i'll probably try you guys out in a few weeks.

Robert-- do you have a store or are you exclusively mail-order?

Date: November 11, 2004 06:57AM

Scott, We do have a store and rod builders are welcome . Please call for directions .If we can help please let us know .Robert

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.138.212.---)
Date: November 11, 2004 06:23PM

Thanks Robert
If I make it down that way in the next few weeks, I'll be sure to stop in!

Posted by: Phil Douglas (---.elictc01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 09:35PM

scott,
Try the fisherman's Edge, Located on Edmondson Ave In Baltimore County, MD Joe Bruce has a good supply of rod building materials. I sorry I don't know the address but it is in the Baltimore Area phone book. Hope this helps---Phil

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 01:10PM

Phil,
Sorry to say Fisherman's Edge has closed it's doors forever. Joe has taken up photography - his second love. The only place left that has anything like a reasonable supply is Tochterman's on Eastern Avenue in Baltimore (just past Little Italy).

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.46.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 04:43PM

Yeah, and Tochterman's is a fantastic tackle shop but pretty limited on rodbuilding supplies: finish and thread basically. But, they would probably order St. Croix blanks and handle kits for you if you asked since they are a St. Croix dealer. Super nice people. I used to live 1/2 mile from there for 9 years and loved that store.

Date: November 14, 2004 07:53PM

Thanks you guys for the tips!
I would also like to mention that I received several friendly emails as a result of this post-- this site is great as it's not only an information source but a source of connections as well!

-Scott

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 09:24PM

Steve -
I think I pretty much cleared Joe's supply of guides and other supplies before he closed up shop - I left him a striper fly rod that I built for him to play with.. I expect I'll see him at the 'spring fling' Trout Unlimted show in Beltsville -- still giving his excellent talks on fly fishing... Of course you're right about Tony and Tochterman's --- I'm also glad I never lived that close to that store as I barely have enough room for the gear I already own!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.tnt36.dca5.da.uu.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 08:42AM

Yep, living that close to Tochterman's was both a blessing and a curse - I miss it. Westminster used to have 2 great tackle shops when I was a kid (Armacost's and Heagy's) but they are both long gone and I have returned to a town where WalMart is the only place to buy tackle. Sad to say, those type family owned tackle shops are not easy to find anymore. I remember going into those places as a kid looking to burn through my allowance or yard mowing money. Lots of pictures on the walls and guys sitting around drinking coffee and lying about their latest fishing and hunting trips. It was great.

I'm sounding like an old fart now - time to mailorder some stuff off the internet, LOL. Maybe I'll see you in Beltsville this spring.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 15, 2004 09:54AM

Mmmm.

Appomattox Canoe, GreenTop, now a rod building store.

Yet another reason to go to Richmond.

Thanx!

Date: November 15, 2004 04:09PM

George , fishsticks4u a sponsor of rodbuilding.org supplies Green Top with custom rods, we have hopes that one day they will let us supply their component section.I can't blame you looking for a reason to go to Green Top, it is such a neat place. Robert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster