I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CORK - Stain update
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 02:17PM

After reading the post about staining cork I gave it a try. I stained four half wells grips with different Minwax oil based stains, let it dry overnight and then put on a coat of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. After that dried I buffed it with fine steel wool.

If you want to see the finished product I posted a picture on the photo page.

I think they turned out pretty nice, the darker ones look almost like wood. They are not as slippery as I thought they would be, in fact there is not much difference in the feel than cork without any finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CORK - Stain update
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.111.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 02:55PM

Another thing to think about is tinting clear or the spar urethane and then coat the cork. Or thinning out tints with thinner, acitone whatever and coat, then clear

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 09:28AM

Resist the temptation to put on a second coat of varnish. What color do you like best? I favor the cherry.

Date: November 11, 2004 01:36PM

I think cherry is my choice also.

I used semi gloss on the ones in the picture but am thinking about giving the satin finish a try. I put the urethane on with a 1/2" flat sable artists brush and it turned out very smooth and no brush marks.

Bob

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 09:57PM

The varathane black can seems to give a satin sheen, which I like. I use stain over unfilled cork. Have you tried this or were your handles filled?

Date: November 11, 2004 10:09PM

Don,

The handles were filled. They the worst looking 4 out of 16 that I got on @#$%& last year for $10, so are no great loss. They do make good samples. Will have to give satin a try on unfilled cork.

Thanks
Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:40AM

You can always sand them down and redo. As I said, you might like unfilled cork better anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster