I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe chisel advice needed
Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: November 10, 2004 01:26AM

recently purchased a PENN STATE lathe, and want to get a set of chisels (may even turn bowels later on). lets say i make 25 handles a year. how good/expensive a set do i need? some of those sets are worth more than my old jeep! also, in andy dears dvd, the chuck he uses to hold the squared blanks to make reel seats-is that really necessary? will the 3 jawed set up that came w/the lathe work ok? THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe chisel advice needed
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 10, 2004 06:56AM

For your turning tools, I would suggest getting something that is made from high speed steel. You will also want to make sure you get a grinder and tool holders so you can sharpen your tools. Even the best tools will do you no good if they are not sharp. Just make sure you get grinding wheels that are of a finer grit. The 3-jaw chuck will be fine if you are starting out with round stock. But if you are starting out with square stock, a 4-jaw chuck will hold the blank better.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 08:35AM

I have a Penn State lathe, and I use the 3-jaw chuck. What I have to to is use the spur center and live center to turn the end section of my square stock down until it is round and will fit in the 3-jaw. Then I drill out the piece before I turn it down anymore. Itransfer it to a mandrel, ala Andy Dear, and finish turning from there.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.170.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 09:09AM

There is no substitute for good lathe tools. But I wouldn't buy a set - you'll get tools you'll never use. I suspect you'll want to gouges - a roughing gouge and a spindle gougle (for bowl work) a scraper and a skew (maybe). A thin parting or bedan tool rounds off the selection.

I've used a good many types and find that the Crown tools offer a pretty good value for the money.

Date: November 10, 2004 01:18PM

THANKS EVERYONE !!

Posted by: Martin E. Morris (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 01:21PM

Hi there John,
Hope it won't be too messy.
Turning those BOWELS on your PENN STATE lathe.
I nearly had a coronary when I read it.
I just had to reply and thank you, haven't laughed so much in years. Not since hooking a bullock with a back cast and playing the damn thing all round the fields, first bit of catch and release I ever practised.
Many thanks,
Martin E.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:44PM

If you're just doing cork grips then you don't need any lathe tools. You could use a scraper for truing the cork rings I guess, but a metal file sharpened on one end will do exactly the same thing. Cork is shaped with abrasives, not lathe cutting tools.

Date: November 10, 2004 09:21PM

William Colby wrote:

> If you're just doing cork grips then you don't need any lathe
> tools. You could use a scraper for truing the cork rings I
> guess, but a metal file sharpened on one end will do exactly
> the same thing. Cork is shaped with abrasives, not lathe
> cutting tools.
true, but i hope to do wood items too. i do cork w/a file and sandpapr.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 11, 2004 04:57PM

Bigger bowls, lots of turning, the high priced tools are wonderful. but for most small turning and between centers the tools are not totally critical. I bought a 4 piece Crown set for the students in the lab to turn pens and fool with the lathe and it seems to be very good.

For bowl turning, you probably do want to invest in one of the $50 and up gouges and learn how to grind a thumbnail tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster