I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cant get it off
Posted by: Randy Seitz (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 02:48PM

I am using the hair dryer then the heat gun to remove this ridge of epoxy after removing guide wraps. I have got the blank almost too hot to touch and still a tough time getting it off. I could heat it more but am afraid I will do damage. Is it OK to get the blank that hot? What will happen when I get to the narrower end of the rod? Is there another method?

Help is appreciated
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cant get it off
Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 02:52PM

can't you scrape it off? use a plastic scrapper of some sort.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:00PM

Instead of heating the blank, try heat a "slightly moistened wash cloth and lay that on the epoxy you are trying to take off. It will lessen the possibility of damaging the blank. Patience is the key, Take your time. It might take a number of heat applications and scrapping with a fingnail, or something softer than the blank to remove all traces. Try alcohol to also soften, dissolve and remove it. It all comes off eventually.

Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:23PM

I have had great luck with a product called Stripeeze. It is a paint remover that comes in a liquid and a gel-you will need the gel. Just dap some on with an old toothbrush, let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, and it will come off by rubbing it with a grey scotchbrite pad. This is only for matte blanks because using it on gloss blanks will take of the gloss. I had an St. Croix SCIV that the teal paint had been worn off and I used Stripeeze to take all the paint off down to the bare blank (it may take several coats). I then used a piece of cheesecloth saturated with permagloss and rub it up and down the blank a couple of times. I now have a rod that is completely restored, has a gloss graphite look and it bulletproof.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:35PM

Take the edge of an old credit card or one of those plastic picnic knives and scrape it off. It will chip right off. Wipe it down with Scotchbrite. Some differ, but I then wipe the area down with denatured alcohol. C2

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 08, 2004 04:18PM

I have used David Spence's method many times and it works great if you are looking for an excuse to get rid of the paint or if you prefer the natural graphite look. It really takes the stress out of stripping components when you don't care if the paint gets scratched. If you need to preserve the paint, then the other suggestions you are getting are good ones.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.106.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 05:24PM

If you are careful you can use a razor blade Don't cut into the blank, lay the blade flat on the blank

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 08:23PM

Wrap a 4-5 layer band of masking tape outside the edge where the epoxy was - where the ridges are. With a new single edge razor blade, using quick and shallow "slicing" motions get under the ridges to removed them. The tape will prevent scraping good material off. Use a very shallow angle with the razor, almost flat against the blank, and no damge to the blank will occur. Any tooling marks from this procedure are easily covered with thread, which in my case more often than not it would be an underwrap.

Warming the finish helps but usually is not necessary. Too hot to the touch is too hot.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster