I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I fix a reel seat?
Posted by: Ryan Mitchell (---.norwest.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 12:33PM

I made my first rod a couple months ago with hyphalon grips (front and rear of the reel seat) and a graphite fuji reel seat. I used drywall tape, tacked down with masking tape for the bushings (about 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap). I used Flex Coat high build for my epoxy.

The reel seat has come completely loose and can spin around the blank. It does not wobble so I think the bushings are in tact and have just let go of the blank. 1) what did I do wrong and 2) how can I fix it?

My thought was to drill small holes under where the reel attaches -one in front of the first bushing, one between and one after the last bushing - and pump in rod bond or flex coat until it fills up the space - this is a surf rod so I am not too worried about adding weight. Is this a good solution or it there something better? Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I fix a reel seat?
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 12:44PM

The best way to secure the reel seat is to remove and rebond it. You can soften the epoxy of the bottom handle in a pot of gently boiling water. It takes between 5 - 10 minutes. The bottom grip or whatever you have at the end of the rod will slide off with a little force, freeing the reel seat. The water temperature never got high enough to soften the rod blank. I just performed the same procedure on two highend flyrods to replace the reel seats, and it came out great.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 08, 2004 01:09PM

One other thing, I would use a different epoxy. The high build is meant for your guides and butt wrap. I would use either Rod Bond or a slow curing epoxy from the hardware store.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 01:09PM

Flex Coat High Build is a finish for wraps, not an adhesive for reel seats.

Putter

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 01:45PM

It was your Flex Coat high build. This is just used for wrap finish. I would recomend Rod Bond. epoxy bonding agent. What did you use to bond the grips with?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 01:57PM

Just guessing....I would say you didnt sand or "rough up" the inside of the real seat. Most mfgs use silicone as a release agent.

Posted by: Ryan Mitchell (---.norwest.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:02PM

I used Flex Coat for everything ...and I did not sand the inside of the seat.

The hyphalon had to stretch quite a bit to make it to the bottom of the rod - how would I stretch it to put it back on without the gentle taper of the blank lined with epoxy to help it?

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 04:21PM

Ryan,

Couple of way to skin a cat.

1: Remove the foregrip...slide the reel seat up and epoxy. Replace the foregrip by cutting it in two and cinching. (I've done this with cork successfully)

2: Remove everything from the back and put it back together from the back. Take the taper out of the rod's reel seat area with mesh tape.

psst....I used high build for handles for a long time.
I now use the FC rod builder epoxy now (little cheaper then FCHB)

Posted by: chris stok (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 06:35PM

i perfer to use the u40 paste, i feel its alot stronger then the flexcoat

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 09:06PM

If you use flexcoat to glue the fore grip try this.
Have a friend hold the rear grip so it won't move. Grab the fore grip with both hands and twist back and forth. it might take a few min. but it will beak free.then slide it and the reelseat and glue with rod bond. If you glued it with rod bond you will have to cut it off.
Steve

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 09:31PM

A few years ago I posted a procedure to remove grips without damaging them. You can try boiling them, but all I got for my trouble when I tried this was a hot soft grip that was still tightly bonded by the epoxy. I also found it hard to find a container to boil a 14" butt grip.

The procedure involved slipping a thin-walled brass tubing of the proper diameter under the grip. The tubing ID must be just slightly larger than the OD of the blank. Work the tubing all the way under the rear grip, and the grip will come off the blank "mounted" on the brass tube. I have performed this procedure on both cork and eva grips on lenghts up to 18" and the grip came off with no problem. The cork comes off much easier than eva.

You can then do the reel seat repair from the rear. Use a paste epoxy, ie. Kardol or Rod bond, to do the bonding. Make sure the drywall tape is saturated while applying. Personally I use masking tape and have never had a reel seat failure or complaints about lack of sensitivity.

You can reuse the grip. Recoat the blank with epoxy, slide the tube over the blank and slide the grip off back onto the blank.

I used to have pics and all with link posted here. The message thread is buried in the archives.

Lou

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 09, 2004 10:30AM

Once again, Cut the rod into at the center of the reel seat. Remove pieces of old reel seat, make a plug [ solid or tubular glass] to fit inside the blank, make arbors, glue together with new reel seat making sure to line up seat hoods with guides. Once you get the hang of it this is a 24 hr. repair. Jesse

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 09, 2004 10:48AM

Flex Coat high build (as well as other wrap finishes) is a casting resin, NOT an adhesive. It won't hold much of anything to anything very long. It doesn't even hold a guide, the thread does that, the finish just protects the thread.

You need to use Rod Bond or othe epoxy ADHESIVE when assembling, components/grips, etc and have a water break-free surface

Mike

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:59PM

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse - how many time will you have to make this post. The first time I saw it I thought you were really a nut - since then I have fixed 12 YOUR WAY - ONLY WAY TO GO!! Simple and permanent!!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster