I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help With Website
Posted by: Chris Newberg (---.231.250.15.gha.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 09:15AM

I'm trying to put up a website so customers can see some of the rods I have built. I am not sure the pictures are appearing though. I have some saved as an FTP online, and some are stored at Yahoo. I decided to try both. I can see the pictures from my computer, but that might just be because of my cookies. I tried taking a look from a library computer, and the pictures did not come up. Can someone take a look and tell me if they see any pictures? If not, does anyone know how to get them to work? Thanks a lot, Chris. The website is:

www.quicsilvercustomtackle.us

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help With Website
Posted by: Jari Rantala (---.dial.inet.fi)
Date: November 07, 2004 09:42AM

I cannot see any photos. Yahoo says "Forbidden
You do not have permission to get the requested URL from this server. "

I would upload the images to my web-host and use them locally. Also, I would not use any empty spaces in the image names.

Jari

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 10:05AM

you cannot use yahoo photos as a photo hosting server for your website. it doesn't work like that. if you don't expect high transfer, you can set up your own website server using something like sambaserver or something like that. webhosting is cheap though, find one you like and let them take care of the hosting.

steve

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 10:11AM

You need to load you pictures directly into your website. If you are not well versed in the use of HTML coding, I would strongly urge you to use a program such as Nicrosoft Front Page, a very user friendly web publishing program (there are others, I just think this one is the best value for the money and easy to use)

One other thinj, I am assuming that you are using one of the "free" web hosting services. I would recommend against that!! the use of all types of banner ads and the number of cookies that your site tries to put on my computer maakse your site very unappealing/unprofessional to any visitors.

Spring for a .com and commercial hosting service. You can get them for under $150 year. It will be worth it in the long run.

Not trying to be critical, just helpful. If you want any help/info, you can e-mail me direct

Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.216.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 10:12AM

Pairowoodies, the host for this site, provides an excellent service for rod builders. Ian Scott, one of the owners, is a rod builder himself and has set up some special prices for creating and/or hosting sites for custom rod builders.

ian@pairowoodies.com

Shoot him an email and see what he might be able to do for you. It's not very expensive. I suspect one or two rod sales should cover everything.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 10:41AM

when i was experimenting with creating web pages for my photography, the industry-wide thought among graphic designers/web designers was that microsoft's front page was terrible to use for compatibility throughout the web. it used an incredible amount of code and was proprietary, which goes against the spirit of web access.

at that time, macromedia's dreamweaver worked much better. it's been years since i've tinkered so there should be plenty of choices out there. and perhaps, just perhaps, front page is better. but i doubt it.

have fun.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 11:41AM

I am a web designer and I've used them both and although Dreamweaver is a great program, I think that as far as price and ease of use, Front Page is the best bargain out there. It has come a long way in the past few years and is probably the widest used WYSIWYG (What You sSee Is What You Get) web publisher out there. Any WYSIWYG program is going to be code heavy, but so what? That's a small price to pay for not having to learn HYML coding yourself.

I can't imagine any web hosting service not having the Front Page extension installed on their servers. It would be bad business not to have them. As far as compatibility. Any computer anywhere would have no problem viewing a site done with Frontpage.

Here are 3 such sites. Check them out and see if you have ANY problem viewing them

www.dwfonline.com
www.wbramp.com
[geocities.com]

Actually, Tom had a very good solution, consider having someone do it all for you.
The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can update/change your site in about 5 minutes.

Mike

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: November 07, 2004 01:27PM

Excuse me, Chris

There is nothing personal in the words bellow...

It's only my personal impression, nothing more... But if you want to attract ANY NEW customer by means of a web site, probably it's worth to spent around $100 per year to place your web site using some pro web hosting service. Apart from much more technical possibilities you can get from the service of that kind, there would be no pop-up advertising banners. At least.
Once again - it's only my personal opinion, but "free" not always equal to "good". But it's quite real to find good hosting service for the money that won't ruin your business...

Respectively,
Pavel

Date: November 07, 2004 01:39PM

Hi guys. Thanks for all the responces. I've got a couple more questions.

First of all, yes, I am using a free host for the time being. The reason for that is I am still getting used to Front Page. I did not want to have to pay the monthly fee for a crapy website(which it is right now). When I get the hang of using Front page, or find another program, I will upgrade to get rid of the ads and all of that stuff.

I find Front Page very difficult to use. I can not get the results I wan't. I used to work with Trellix and it was awesome. I could make a website look how I wanted it. I'm sure I'll get used to Front Page though. I just cant get ANY images to show up. That includes all the clip art, my pictures and the backgrounds....which leads me to my next question:

If I upgrade services, they say they offer MS Front Page extensions. Will these make it more compatable with the service? Is it necessarry to make everything work?

Again, thanks for the help, and no critisism is bad critisism. I will be trying a few different things within the next couple of minutes here nd hopefully I can figure out something that works.

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 01:40PM

Chris,

I checked out your site and I realize you have a long way to go but at least you have a start. I suggest you find a host quick. The pop-up adds are killing your site. There are many hosting companies that are very inexpensive and allow tons of access. If your using Frontpage, it's very simple to insert photos and you can even optimize them so they will load faster. Your narratives are a little confusing. Some places you refer to your business as "we" and other places it's just "I". If you are a one man show, stick with the "I". I've found customers like doing business with small custom operations. I actually have some paid part time employees as well as a few non-paid employees (my wife Marcie, and my fishing partner, Doug) but I still use "me" or "I". If a customer wants a rod, they talk to me and I make the rod, the others just do support work.

Date: November 07, 2004 01:55PM

Jeff, thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure which way to address my self. I was thinking that maybe it would be me and a friend, but then I remembered how I was doing all the work.... As for the host, I might look around for one without the word free in its name. I'm finding free is never good.

Anyway, I tried loading some more pictures on my site using files storedon the site. Again, for me they come up, but they always did, so I guess I don't know if it worked or not.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.241.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 03:12PM

Chris,

In my opinion, Freeway or Freeway Express are light years ahead of any other website development software. I do not know if it's available for Windows type computers, however. If not, it surely would be very soon.

Most people who visit a website will only wait a few seconds for the page to load. If it takes more than 30 seconds, they'll most likely have moved on to the next site. If they get hit with pop ups, they'll also move on.

Often the difference between free and a few hundred dollars is one site that receives no traffic (and no results) and one that actually does you some good.

I will mention that with a internet service contract through Earthlink (about $22 per month) you get 10 free websites up to 10mb in size. And, there are no pop up ads. They will take FTP of your own design or you can use their Trellix template based web site creation software and come up with some very quicky and very easily. And you can edit it yourself as often as you like.

Just some additional ideas to consider.

Date: November 07, 2004 05:20PM

Tom, I know what you're saying about people leaving a slow or conjested site....I'm the same way. I'll take a look at some of your suggestions. I think I've heard of the Freeway program. I'll take a closer look at that too. I guess I just have to ask myself, before investing very much money, how much work will I get from this site.

Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 09:17PM

You may not get any as far as far away sales go. But you may get more local sales by having a site. More and more when I talk to local fishing clubs or fishermen in general they all ask me "do you have a website." I have to tell them that no, I don't. I can tell that many just don't consider you a legitimate businessperson if you do not have a site. I think the reality is that if you're to have any clout even among your local clientele you need a web presence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster