I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best arbors to use with graphite tubing?
Posted by: Meriwether Huygens (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 03:26PM

I am preparing to build a rod and plan to use graphite tubing for part of the handle. The standard arbor used seems to be graphite. Has anyone used or can comment on polyurethane arbors (e.g. Flex Coat Reel Seat Arbors)? I am concerned about both strength and sensitivity.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in on the best tubing size and style, I'd more than happy for the input.

Thanks, Meriwether.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best arbors to use with graphite tubing?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.114.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 04:10PM

I'd use the Flex Coat type if you can find an OD that suits the tube size ID you're using.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 07:12PM

I'm a long time user of graphite arbors and swear by them. Recently I've been playing with the FC arbors and I'm almost ready to convert to them. They are much easier to work with, and based on my own very un-scientific tests, they are at least as durable as graphite, if not a hair stronger and as far as sensitivity, I don't think you'll feel much of a difference no matter what you use, even wood.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 08:12PM

The 1.1 inch tubing will match a casting reelseat well. It all looks pretty much the same, at least the stuff I've been around. Haven't seen a graphite foregrip I liked yet.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 04:14AM

One more option is to use a cork ring near each end and one in the center under the graphite tubing. Ralph

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 07:57PM

go with the flex coat arbors $.02

Posted by: Steve Pratt (---.uhaul.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:09PM

all of the tubing I've used has been about 25mm inside diameter. The Flex Coat arbors only come to size 24mm. I use the 26 mm graphite arbors from Pac Bay and ten sand them down so the tube fits over. One word of caution, make sure you get a good size match and epoxy well or the tube may start to loosen up after a couple years of hard use. I learned this the hard way. Also if you have a lathe, get a piece of round plastic, I order some from a local plastics shop, and turn it to the dia. of the tube. Drill a hole for the front , next to the realseat, and a solid one for the rear and you have a very nice looking handle. I also use the same thng for my foregrip.
Good luck.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster