I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tunnel trouble
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.hsc.mb.ca)
Date: November 06, 2004 11:48AM

I have benn useing colour preserver (gludebrod), with my guide wraps. When I put on the epoxie some of the thread at the top of the guide foot would turn dark. I finally figured out that the epoxie would go into the tunnel at the top of the guide foot and soak the thread from behind/underneath, as it should but turn the thread dark. So I have been getting the color peserver into the tunnels so the thread retains its color.
My question is: 1 does the pesrever prevent the epoxie from getting in all the way around the guide foot? 2 How do I get the epoxie in around the foot without leaving a blob that touches the guide foot on the bend up that later cracks with rod flex? Oh yes I have been useing the Forhan guide locking wraps (4 wraps) which are just a super idea, mine seem to go up a little towards the guide foot bend, but not onto the bend. Cheers Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tunnel trouble
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.86.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 02:06PM

As long as you get either CP or epoxy along the guide foot you're fine.

One thing to remember, is that the area along the tunnel may well be darker than that elsewhere. This is not a failure of the CP nor is it because the epoxy has gotten into the tunnel and darkened the thread from behind. It's because the background under the thread is different along the length of the tunnel than it is against the actual blank. The thread that is over the tunnel does not rest directly on the blank, therefore the background there is darker. Any finish you apply, with or without CP, is going to be a shade darker along the length of the tunnel. This is more readily apparent with lighter colored threads.

Posted by: Russ Blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 10:13PM

Ron,

When epoxying guide wraps I normally will use a toothpick to get the epoxy into the tunnel first then apply the rest of the epoxy with a brush. It all seems to go together nicely once done without any webbing or "blobs" underneath the guide foot.

Just my $.02

Russ

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.242.147.31.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 11:54PM

As they say, an artifact of process. If anyone protests, just tell them to go have a look at the rack rods and see if they like those any better. I was looking over workmanship on some Lami rack rods. Not bad at all to the casual eye, but certainly distinguishable from any custom quality I've seen from dozens of hand crafters.

I have some of my early rods still around, and when I inspect them with a hand glass, I want to puke. To the casual unaided eye, they look great, but when someone says, "Wow, that is really nice!!.", I just thank them but know better.

I suspect you are seeing "flaws" that are invisible to your buyers generally. I know I can inspect any wrap I've ever done with a hand glass and see less than perfection. It keeps me humble, always knowing improvement is possible, but to the unaided eye they are judged flawless by 99% of anyone who cares to look.

Tip: more grinding of feet can make for smaller, thinner tunnels. Round file the bottoms to fit the blank, then the tops to a near knife edge, then deburr the edge. More time, more skill, more practice can lead to smaller tunnel volumes in every case.

How many of your customers think it is worth the extra cost to reduce this artifact of process they typically will never notice??? Practically perfect ought to be good enough. What level of perfection does your market demand??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster