I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod broken by UPS, advice needed
Posted by: Jeffery Friend (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 09:19AM

I just completed a very special rod as a gift for my sister, which I spent well over 25 hours. UPS picked it up Tuesday and it should of reached her in California yesterday. When I hadn't received a call of the surprise from my sister, I checked the tracking number. It states that it made it from Texas to California, but was damaged while in transit and the merchandise was being returned to shipper. It went on to say that UPS will notify sender with details of damage. I've got to tell you that I haven't been this sad & mad since my beloved dog of 17 years died this year.
I called UPS and to make a long story short, this what I was told. Sir, your package is being sent back to you. Since we did not package it, we'll have to start an investigation as to is at fault. You will need to fill out a claim.
Aggitated, I told her that the rod was sent in schedule 80 pve pipe and you nearly have to drive over it to break it. She went on to tell me that there was nothing more she could do and that she would put that I had called and that someone would contact me on Monday.
Have any of you had this happen and would you tell me how to go about getting whatever compensation I'm entitled to?
Thanks, Jeffery

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod broken by UPS, advice needed
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.78.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 09:31AM

If the rod itself had been broken and there was no apparent damage to the exterior of the container/package, then they could deny your claim. However, since they seem to know the parcel was damaged, I'd think that means the tube itself was damaged and they'll have a hard time wiggling out of that.

More than likely you'll get your compensation. But, you will need some way of justifying the claim amount. First things first - what level of insurance did you specify on your shipping ticket? I believe UPS automatically covers you for $50, but for values greater than that you have to pay a small bit extra. It's something like a buck or two for each additional $100 in protection.

If you didn't buy the extra protection, you may be limited to a $50 compensation. If you did obtain extra coverage, then you only need to create a bill or invoice and submit that to UPS. If they ask for proof of sales price, you can make copies of invoices of other rods you've built and sold to use for comparitive purposes.

I lost a few rods via UPS over the years and was always compensated for exactly my claim amount. It usually took about 5 weeks to receive my check. The only consolation is that in the end, for every rod they lose and pay you for, you get to build another. So you sell two rods instead of one. Small comfort I'm sure, but at least it's something.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 09:35AM

Over the years I have had several broken by UPS and have yet to get them to pay. The only time I made out is when I had over insured and they lost them, they didn't have an excuse that time. Jesse

Date: November 06, 2004 09:48AM

I failed to mention that I did not insure it. You can bet I will in the future. I appreciate your help. This rod never did make it to my sister. I would have much rather had a customer's rod get broke instead. I'll just see what I can salvage and build her another one. ouch! SCV 5C68MXF blank, split grips, spiral Fuji SIC guides. I really was hoping she would have it to fish her local bass clubs TOC. Now I just hope whoever broke it gets a real bad case of diarea on the job.

Date: November 06, 2004 09:55AM

In that case you will likely be limited to the $50 or whatever coverage is standard. I'm not sure what that amount is now, but up until a few years ago it was still $50. At least you'll get the rod back and can salvage your guides.

An upcoming article in RodMaker is going to profile how to best package rods for shipping, in order to protect them from damage at the hands of the carrier. There are people who specialize in packaging and I've found them to be a tremendous help in protecting fishing rods from the rough handling of most shippers.

Posted by: Brent Shelton (---.clspco.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 10:13AM

Having recently had the same problem, I can say the standard insurance is $100. You don't have to pay extra for the $100 insurance. If you ordered the parts on the 'net just print a copy and take that to the place of shipment. That was all I needed. Check to me in about 2 weeks.

On the other hand, this is interesting because I got the same service from UPS (Code Brown). Lots of rude treatment. I should have known better because the clueless teen who took my order at the UPS Store couldn't have been more useless. I say USPS instead.

Brent Shelton

Date: November 06, 2004 10:24AM

Guys, I want to warn you about the language. We have rod builders here who are under the age of 10 and others who are greatly offended by some of the words being used more and more in posts on this site. And hiding the word behind some punctuation isn't going to cut it.

I've edited what needed it here, but from now on we'll just remove the post if it contains bad language. Let's be careful of the language used here. Thanks.

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas7.toledo1.oh.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 10:47AM

It took me three tries in one weeks time to get me a rod blank in one piece.One blank was crushed at the bottom,the other was broke in two.UPS delivered both.I'd use Fedex or someone else in the future.

Posted by: Robert Huisman (---.cpe.ga.charter.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 11:10AM

Rule of thumb (from many years of experience):

If you don't have a commercial account, UPS will never pay a claim in the first instance. There first response will be that it was improperly packaged. If you dropped it off at a UPS center, that' s pretty easy to get around --- you point out that if it was improperly packaged, their highly trained clerk from the temp agency shouldn't have accepted it.

If you didn't buy insurance you're stuck with the $100.00 from UPS, which you will get eventually if you squawk loud enough..

I've had claims where the depot manager signed off when I shipped it that it was packaged according to UPS standards ( you can do this if you anticipate a problem),, and UPS STILL claimed that it was not packaged properly.

Personally, anything that has any great value, sentimental or intrinsic, I ship USPS registered mail, with appropriate insurance. Short of a private courier, this is the most secure way that I know of to get an item from here to there. In many cases the cost is very comparable to UPS. The post office tends to be much more cooperative in paying claims.

My opinion about shipping cost for someone who only does it occasionally ( in other words, costs don't mount up) is that it is easy to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 12:38PM

Jeffery:
Hello. I stopped using UPS years ago. I had so many blanks broken and damaged by UPS not to mention 4 rods were stolen out of the shipping tubes, I stopped doing business with them. I package all my rods in rods bags and in a rod tube then wrap the tube in bubble wrap and put the whole thing in a PVC tube. I now use the postal service insured priority mail. The rods gets to the person in 2-3 days and I have not had any rods broken, damaged, or stolen in 4 years with the USPS. Another plus with the USPS is their shipping rates are much cheaper than other deliverly companies.

Lanny

Date: November 06, 2004 12:56PM

Thanks to all you guys for your help and advice. I actually do have a commercial account with UPS for my real job (Computer Company), and until this incident have never had any problems with sending equipment. Sending Computer & IT equipment is whole lot less personal than this very special rod for my sister. This site and post have allowed me to vent to some intelligent human beings and I'm feeling a tad better. I've already started a new rod for her and will take a bit more care when shipping to her this time.
Thanks again,
Jeffery

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.86.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 01:38PM

I was always paid by UPS, perhaps on 10 occasions over some 15 years. Not once did they turn down any claim I made and I did not have a commercial account.

If the package shows obivious damage, by all means file a claim and get the $100. Some is better than none.

Date: November 06, 2004 02:06PM

I suppose one of the positives is that I'll be able to improve on a few of the things I was less than thrilled with. Thing is, I'm never quite satisfied with any of them completely and probably never will be. Depending on what is broke, I may just repair it and send to my sister a day before I send her the new one. Since she still has no idea that I was even building her a rod, could be interesting to have her call and thank me for a rod is obviously less than right. Could play the gag out until the new rod arrived the next day.
Thanks to ya all.Jeffery

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.86.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 02:07PM

Do keep in mind that if you file a claim and they pay you, they keep the rod.

Date: November 06, 2004 02:58PM

Well, that will certainly ruin any fun I could have gotten from this whole thing. That's what I get for being mean spirited I guess. :-)
Jeffery

Posted by: Jason Weber (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 06:50PM

I have had rods broken by UPS and always got paid. I had to show invoices for the rods but I was always paid.
One other thing that Tom mentioned...I always kept my rods, cause I told them that I could use the guides again. Always worked for me, but it is something to be prepared for. They never asked for them back.

Jason

Date: November 06, 2004 07:42PM

Jason, Thanks and I have already created an invoice for them. I too will ask to keep the damaged rod.
Jeffery

Posted by: KEITH BURNETTE (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 07:55PM

I USED TO PAY FOR INSURANCE, BUT AFTER HAVING ONCE GOTTEN THE RUN AROUND FROM UPS, I LEARNED THAT IF YOU SHIP AT YOUR OWN PERIL IT IS THE SAME THING AT A LOWER COST. I NOW SHIP USPS AND IF ANY DAMAGE OCCURS I JUST REFUND AND EAT IT. SO FAR I AM MONEY IN BECAUSE USPS HAS A BETTER TRACK RECORD AND UPS WILL NOT PAY IF THEY DESTROY MY PRODUCT.

Posted by: Mike Williams (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 09:27PM

If you lose or have a rod damaged by the postal service, good luck. You're talking a minimum of 90 days just to have a claim reviewed and you'll be lucky to get anything.

Best bet is FedEx. They offer 3 day super saver and ground and my packages get good treatment and so far I haven't lost a thing.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 02:55AM

Folks ...
My observations and experiences with shippers:
I've had packages lost. I've had schedule 40 PVC tubes crushed. I've had end caps magically come off and the package arrive empty and I've had packages arrive with no external physical damage but the rod broken in half - at the butt section on a saltwater trolling rod. US Postal service, FedEx, UPS. I also do rod repair work for United Airlines out of Baltimore/Washington International and Dulles International and Air Canada (through United at Dulles International). Simply "it happens" it is nearly unavoidable with long cylindical packages. Airline containers (those aluminium crates) will not hold a 7' long rod - and most companies ship via air unless you specifically request ground shipment. Understand that they want to move your package to it's destination as quickly as possible to show good service. The level of service you receive from the shipper for a claim is heavily dependant on how you act when you are first notified and when you file your claim. The people that call you have no idea of the value of the item. They're really not "blowing you off" - they are simply not authorized to do any more than let you know something bad has happened. No, that does not mean they can be rude - but since their job is to pass bad news all day long they likely become a bit callous and jaded. When you go to make your claim bring all the necessary documentation with you (receipts for parts and an invoice that includes a REASONABLE labor cost - sorry but you will not see more than $7.00/hour for YOUR labor - if however it is someone else's labor - on a receipt as a "total cost" then insurance will cover it.) Be polite and ask to inspect the parcel with the supervisor on duty. If there is physical damage to the exterior of the package they will pay. Internal damage can be tricky - you have to show that reasonable care was taken to protect the item (this is a SUBJECTIVE assessment). IF you speak nicely with the supervisor and agree to a reduced payment (less than total cost - usually around 50-70 percent) they can authorize you to keep the item and will cut you a check for the balance. Ask how long it will be before you can expect payment and ask for a contact number/address of the insurance company. Wait a week and call the insurance company and inquire if they have received your claim. Keep all the paperwork (especially the claim number) that you are given by the clerk/supervisor as you will need it if the payment doesn't show up within a reasonable time (USPS averages 90 days - I've had them take 6 months, UPS usually 2-4 weeks, FedEx about a week). Airlines (that I've dealt with) within 2 weeks.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster