I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' "Surf" Rod
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 05:13PM

I have a customer interested in a seven-foot spinning rod, 15# line, for throwing 1.5 oz lead with live bait, for Spanish Mackerel in the coves of the Outer Banks. He would prefer a two-piece rod. He also wants the rod to double for throwing 3oz. Hopkins lures. I'm not a mackerel fisherman, so I'm looking for thoughts on a good blank option. I thought E Glass might be an option.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' "Surf" Rod
Posted by: KEITH BURNETTE (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 05:36PM

I WOULD TRY RAINSHADOW IMB844 OR 845. EITHER ONE WILL DO A GOOD JOB. YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM FOR THE PRICE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 06:33PM

Fran,
2 piece is a hard one. Will three piece work? There you will find the Rainshadow IC 847-3 and the Travel Tidemaster St Croix blanks.
If something else comes up I'll get back with you.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 06:52PM

Keith, the Rainshadow won't address the 2-piece desire. The St. Croix might work, though. Thanks to both of you for the help.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 09:02PM

I've not tried these blanks but I recently was pondering these two blanks for a similar applicatoin...

AmTak GSW702 MH is 7' E-glass two piece "surf rod" rated for 15-25# line and 3 oz lures.

Angler's Workshop has the AMB79B which is a 2-piece E-glass Mag Bait rod... 7'9" rated for 10-25# line.

Erik

Posted by: Bob Williams (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 11:53AM

I know you stated a 7' rod, but you also said "surf rod". If your customer is going to be using this from the beach to chase spanish macs, why not use what a lot of the guys down there are using to get the job done. The 1265/2 All Star is a great blank for what he is looking to do. It's 10'6" , a 2pc, and will toss 2 and 3oz sting silvers as far as they need to go.
Only reason I could see as to why he would only want a 7' blank, is if he plans on using it from a boat. But for the surf, that 1265 is tuff to beat.

Just another view of getting the right blank for the right job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster