I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CORK...anyone ever use wood stain on your grips?
Posted by: John Launstein (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 02:52PM

Hey--working on a new series of rods and had this vision of a VERY dark CORK grip. I've used burnt cork (too heavy for what we're doing) and tea-stained, but has anyone ever used other stain effectively? I'd actually like to end up with a BLACK cork grip to coordinate with other elements of these rods, but before I go out and buy some stain I wondered if any of you have learned any secrets/lessons! :)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CORK...anyone ever use wood stain on your grips?
Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 04, 2004 03:25PM

I have tried several Miniwax stains of late. Not the urethane ones, but the regular stains. If you want black, use black. The mahogony was very dark, as are several other colors I have not tried. The stain tends to eat out some fillers. Unfilled cork looks very good when stained. One coat of stain is enough. One coat of Varathane over the stained cork. Two coats for a varnished look. My current favorite color is cherry. Pecan was also good. Avoid the yellow tints.

Date: November 04, 2004 03:38PM

Thanks, Don! Do you have any "track record" on grips you've stained this way? Do they wear well (i.e. not wear OFF on the hand or slowly depreciate with time & use)? I never fill my cork anyway as we use super-premium rings, so I should be OK on that end.

Do you think U-40 Cork Seal or tung oil would be an acceptable/preferable alternative to Varathane? I've always been very reticent to varathane my grips for a number of reasons, probably mainly tied to personal preference, though.

Anyway, thanks again!

John

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 04, 2004 04:02PM

John. Haven't really fished any of the stained cork yet. I would think that the stain would prevent the U-40 from doing much. I don't like the look of Tru-oil over natural cork, did not try over stain. One coat of Varathane does not look like varnish to me, rather adds a nice sheen. Try your colors and final finishes on a throw away grip til you hit the money. I am going to try Red Oak next.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:26AM

Also do not use the " stain-sealer" All you can use is one coat because of the sealer in it. If you want to put a secount coat on it will not work

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:29AM

Maybe a wood sealer on top of the stain?? Out door type.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:22AM

After you stain the color you want - apply a single or multiple coat of Tru Oil. I think you will like the appearance and it will provide the wear characteristic needed for the task at hand.
Kenneth Prager

Date: November 05, 2004 02:41PM

Thanks for your tips, Bill and Kenneth! I was thinking the same re: TruOil...I'll try and remember to do a "follow-up" post after experimenting some! :)

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster