I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept Guide System
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 02:42PM

Here's my question: I have been using th concept guide system to correctly place guides on spining rods, using the reel that will be used on the rod. My understanding is that the process is designed to create two straight lines with the fishing line, the first from the reel to the first intersecting guide, and the second from that guide to the tip and out the tip. If this is so, when you put a reel on the rod and the rod doesn't intersect with the straight edge table or bench or whatever, is the reverse true? Do you try to have a straight line to the first guide, and another from there to the tip? Opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept Guide System
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.54.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 03:19PM

It will throw things off by a bit, but it won't really harm the overall casting performance unless the reel is substantially different than the one you used for the set up. In other words, if the reel and spool are at least similar in size, you won't notice a tremendous difference. If the new reel is say, twice as large or half as large, then you probably will notice a drop in performance.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.reserved.madisonriver.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 04:05PM

My problem has been that I have reels of the same size, but the shaft does not point at the same angle. So I must use the same reel with the same rod or compromise. An added problem is that I don't always keep reels on all my rods, so I must remember which fit which. In fact, right now I have three 7' spinning rods with similar reels, all have the concept system, and I doubt if all are fitted with the reel I set them up with. Only I would know anyway and they are probably close enough. Old guys can get away with stuff like this, I think. John Butterfield

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.235.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 04:39PM

Once the line leaves the reel, gravity pulls it downward. That's why the reel spool upsweep has more to do with set-up of the concept, than it does with actual casting performance.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 05:51PM

Tom, what I meant was that the reel that my customer gave me, that he said was going on the rod I'm building, is the one I used for setup. It does not have enough angle to intersect with the rod. So I tried to use the two straight line theory in reverse as a place to start. It cast fine, and had no line slap then or when I static deflection tested it. It's a 6'6" spinning rod, and I have seven guides on it.

I echo John's concern about changing reels on the rod. I expect my rod will last longer than the reel. Also, I will probably recommend to my customer that he look at a different reel anyway. I think his is a bit too large for the rod he ordered.

But I have run into the issue before of no intersect on the blank. I'd love to hear if anyone else has developed a system they think works.

Posted by: Steve Pratt (---.uhaul.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 06:23PM

Fran, I've just started building spinning rods with the concept system so I'm no expert. I'm having the same problem with 2 8 1/2' rods right now that have Penn 5500's on them. What I did was tilt the rod a little so that the stem is not in perfect alignment , but close, and does intersect about 2/3 of the way up the blank. After test casting the first one, it does cast very nice and there is no line slap so I think I'll leave it.
But as I said, I'm no expert so would be interested to hear what others are doing?

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 07:06PM

I think Tom covered what to do when the reel centerline does not intersect with the blank. Isn't that in the online library?? Something about using an intersection point that was a certain percentage of rod length or where the action runs out? I know I read it in Rodmaker somewhere.

Posted by: Gary Niemchick (---.async.iserv.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:49AM

If you're sold on a certain reel you can always shim the rear portion
to increase the upwards angle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster