I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One weight Fly rod
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 01:20AM

I have Orvis's one weight fly rods, Super Fine and Trident. I specialize in fishing with lite tackle. I have caught 20+ trout with my one weights in the past (27 1/2"). I am about to venture in building a one weight rod specifically designed for Schoolie size stripers, cocktail blues and even do some bone fishing with it in Puerto Rico where the bones are small.

I wanted some input on my selection of components,

1- Fuji Titanium frame single foot guides, stripper and top.
2- Pac Bay channel lock fly seat in titanium CL7R-C
3- Eva foregrip (undecided would go with other suggestions)
4- Pac Bay Titanium fighting butt (if made in small size?)
5- As far as I know there are only two one weight blanks that I know of
Orvis and Sage (0 & 1) if anyone else know of any please do tell?
6- Pewter MettalicThread/ trim will be determine later.

For the Curious I will be using my trusty Charleton 8350 reel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One weight Fly rod
Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 05:51AM

Didn't know there was such a thing a "One Wgt." Sounds like fun. And I was worried about my five wgt. for reds. Sounds like you'd better take some running shoes when you go after the bones. Why the fighting butt and foregrip? Not questoning, just curious.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 08:08AM

I hope that reel is trusty 'cause all the pressure will be on it. Really, you could land the fish ok - - he'd be totally worn down - - but the problem you'll run into is being able to cast heavy weighted flies with such an arrangement. The rod weight has more to do with the fly than the fish & you need a heavier line to be able to turn over a heavy or wind-resistant fly. The components you listed would be my choice also for a light saltwater rod. You cant go wrong with the FUJI titanium SIC guides & titanium reel seat. I much prefer cork on a fly rod for the grip. To me, EVA has too much give & tends to make my hand get tired when I'm gripping it for long periods - -its more suited, in my humble opinion, to casting & spinning where you don't actually grip the grip. (I built one fly rod for myself with an EVA grip & ended up replacing it with cork)

Posted by: Mark Soloway (66.9.13.---)
Date: February 28, 2002 09:09AM

Each to his own but I wonder how many of your released fish survive the ordeal. Just wondering.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 09:16AM

Actually once you toss in all the various other blanks that are capable of tossing 1/16th ounce, you find that there are literally dozens of 1-weight blanks out there. Don't limit yourself to only those blanks listed as fly blanks. Any blank rated to throw around 1/16th ounce can work, depending upon your tastes in action and length.

Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 10:29AM

Harold, I meant the handle! The fighting butt was just an afterthought don't know if its available for the size rod I am thinking of.

The reel is outstanding well engineered sealed drag, I have caught many 20"+ trout with it as well as one 3 1/2 pound Large mouth Bass. Where I fish for the Schoolie Stripers they are small with an occassional keeper 28" ( I release them all). The area is a back bay not windy, I only fly fish when its the right conditions other wise I use my casting (Shimano Calcutta 250) or spinning (Fin-Nor) outfits. The secret is to use a heavier tippet 4x or 5x it helps bring in the fish within a reasonable time to revive, not looking for a IGFA world record just the sport. The line is a two weight clear intermediate line with plenty of backing. The flies I use are small mostly clousers or decievers. I am very conscious of the the life of the fish and keep the fight to a minimal, very proficient in reviving and releasing. On occassion have encountered bigger fish and made the sacrifice of breaking off line with Light spinning outfit. Will mostly likely go with cork high grade sealed properly.

Tom, thanks
did not look at it that way always thought I was limmited to the blank selection, would like a x-fast blank if possible the ones I have are meant for gentle whisper like cast, slow to moderate action, not really needed for this application. But I looked at some of the fly blank selections online and none mention weight of lure, only spin and cast do. any suggestions?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 11:46AM

A 1-weight rod is meant to be loaded with around 1/16th ounce of weight. Fly rod blanks are no different than spinning or casting blanks other than the casting weight is given in numbered format to match the various line weights, rather than in ounces. But those line weight numbers correspond to specific weights.

Posted by: Andy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 06:02PM

Would that idea of using a spinnig blank that casts a 1/16 oz. bait or lure work for a 1 wt. used for panfish using a size 20 dry fly?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster