I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best blank under $100.00
Posted by: Gary Laca (---.phonewave.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 06:11PM

Here it is Christmas season again and the relatives want fly rods built as usual. I would like to build 9 ft. 5 wt. 3 piece medium fast to fast action rods and would greatly appreciate your input as to the best quality blanks currently available. It seems I can't keep up with the new products available. Thanks in advance for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best blank under $100.00
Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 07:05PM

You might look at the post by Robert Widmaier earlier today for some suggestions. The discontinued St. Croix SCIV three piece blanks are still available from some dealers. Look at the Dan Craft Signature V and FT series blanks as well.

Posted by: Dan Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 07:57PM

Gary,

I have our 3pc Signature V blanks in the ballpark you are looking for. I can set you up with complete kits at a low price as well.

Dan Craft

Posted by: Scott Melton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:05PM

We have several blanks that fit the bill from Pacific Bay TRF905-3
The new Matrix blanks by American Tackle with the woven gaphite AMF905-3.
Our Cedar River Gold CRF905-3 and Silver Lable CR-F 905-3
For prices please visit our website or email, call.
Scott Melton
Rod-Blanks.com
@BlackBear Pontoons Inc. Co
206-372-9998

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:26PM

Gary , all the above mentioned blanks make good candidates , if it were my choice.............Dan Craft. John

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:28PM

Rainshadow/Forecast - website:batsonenterprises.com. Has one of the largest selection of blanks available on the market. Quality products at reasonable prices..
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381
wbatson@olypen.com

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:38PM

I highly recommend the Rainshadows.

I have built about 2 dozen Batson rods and I have never had a complaint. They are also great people to work with.

Christian

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 07:36AM

The Dan Craft SIG V is under $100 and IMHO is in the same league as a Loomis GLX or Sage XP performance wise.It is REDICULOUSLY light in weight and super fast recovering.One of the nicest rods out there at ANY price.

Try the 3pc 9ft 5wt and you won't believe the performance for the price.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:36AM

Gary,

Grab up a Sig V 8'9" 4 wt 3 pc. It fishes a 5 wt line like a dream. I use a windcutter WF5 on mine and it is an incredible rod.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: November 03, 2004 10:43AM

American Tackle, American Tackle

tight lines,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 11:43AM

Gary:

I have been there and done that!! (Holiday rods for friends and family). As already suggested here, you can't go wrong with Rainshadow or Dan Craft. They both have excellent products in your target price range. I have used them for my family and friends for a few years and everyone seems pleased. I am sure there are others that fit the bill here, but I have experience with these two line of rods.

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: Manly Thomas (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 12:04PM

I would certainly look at Rainshow blanks. I have used over 100 of these blanks and have been very satisfied with their performance. I have only had one return and that was because of a big foot. Bill Batson gladly replaced it at no charge.

Manly Thomas

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 12:24PM

You are getting good advice from all but if you prefer a fast action rod as I do look at the Dan Craft FT series.

Posted by: Doug Schow (---.ei.ubesd.k12.or.us)
Date: November 03, 2004 03:08PM

I would also recommend the rainshadow/forcast blanks. very high quaility and a great selection of blanks. I would not stop there check out their components. You can not go wrong with their line up of quaility items. Not to mention their customer service. Chech them out you will love them.

Doug Schow

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 01:00AM

I highly recommend Rainshadow. Go to www.batsonenterprises.com and check them out. They have an awesome line of Forecast components. Good Luck!

David Banaka
D&S Custom Rods

Posted by: jim weis (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 03:56AM

I can't seem to find Dan Craft blanks on their web site where can I l
look at them?

tight lines
jim

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:30AM

You have to down load their online catalog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster