I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf blank recommendation needed
Posted by: ken saums (67.98.18.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 03:16PM

I have a friend that wants me to build him a 10-11 ft. surf rod (spinning), he generally uses 20lb and throws no more than 6 oz. It needs to be a two piece. Looking for recommendations, I have no experience with these rods.
Thanks,
Ken Saums

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf blank recommendation needed
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 03:41PM

Allstar rods has some really nice blanks that fit that description. Check out their Elite "Breakaway" line of blanks.

Posted by: Don Moorhead (---.155.132.179.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 03:47PM

I would recomend a Purglas 350-3. This blank is rated to throw 6-8oz and is 11' 6" in length. These blanks are very light and cast/fish great. I have built countless surf rods using Lamiglas, breakaway, Purglas blanks. Purglas blanks come in 2 equal sections using a spiggot for the connection. Send me a email if you have any other questions.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 02, 2004 05:45PM

Ken: If you have no experience with surf rods, then you may want to do some general reading on building surf rods. Check out the back issue of Rodmaker Magazine Volume 7, Issue #1, pages 22-33. Read the article "Guide to Building SURF RODS", written by Tom Kirkman, with Mike Ballard, Neil Faulkner & Ken Preston. It's only $7, it's cheaper than any book and covers a wide range of considerations. -Cliff Hall-.
To order a RMM back issue [7(1)], go to: www.rodmakermagazine.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas (68.84.71.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 06:38PM

Allstar 1418 11'6" 3-6OZ This blank is Sweet!! Throws 4oz a LOOOONNNNGGG WAY

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 06:50PM

Ken,
I agree with Bret on the All Star Breakaways. Lots of bang for the buck. I've built several of the BGSW 1418 11'6" two piece. Rated 2-7oz. lure weight, they are real cannons with 4-5 oz.+ bait. Probably the most popular non-heaver custom on the NC coast. Not a plugging rod, but one of the best bait blanks out there. E-mail me if you want to come look at one . (We live pretty close)

Lynn Huffman

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:31PM

Rainshadow has a nice selection of blanks. Website : batsonenterprises.com
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381
wbatson@olypen.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 10:45PM

Ken -
I have now built a string of 10'6" surf rods based on Rainshadow blanks - with the emphasis on the lighter end of the spectrum (1264's). For this region - Chesapeake Bay bait fishing, Delaware and Maryland coastal ocean plugging, metal tossing they are an absolutely outstanding choice. They are very light (comfortable for a day of fishing). They can toss 1-4Oz easily (nice for plugging, jetty jockeying and tossing and controlling metals in the cuts). They also have plenty of reserve power to bring a decent fish through the suds and onto the beach. I built the first one for myself - and it has impressed everyone that has cast it. How impressed are they? In three months I've built 6 of them - and the word is still spreading.
I have not tried the heavier Rainshadow blanks (yet). For the heavier "Hatteras heaver" 8oz + bait and up - All Star Breakaway(1502)and the American Tackle Patriot series (1418-2) are really hard to beat. The difference in them is if you prefer the even 50/50 split on the blank or the "English" style 30/70 (short butt section / longer tip).
Up front -- I have not built any surf rods on PurGlas or Conoflex blanks.
Ken

Posted by: ken saums (204.151.5.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:51AM

Thanks for all the responses. Cliff, I have that issue thanks for the reminder.

-Ken

Posted by: Tommy "Custer" Lindsay (---.249.180.21.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 06:13PM

I am by no means an expert, but do not forget the allstar 1267. It twas me first build and I love it for 4-5 oz....I rigged it for either a abu 6500 or a stradic 4000....love it...

Good Luck !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster